DOM Created DCP Stopped playing abruptly

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

DOM Created DCP Stopped playing abruptly

Post by Guddu »

I received a encrypted DCP and the KDM for my dcpomatic server.

We did the subtitling and generated a new encrypted DCP with the subtitles burnt in.

This new DCP was used for 2 screenings earlier and it played well.

On another site where we organized the press event of the title, the DCP stopped playing after about 11 minutes. We ingested the DCP to a new server and to another third server and the problems persisted on all of them. The press event was cancelled.

The new DCP has 1 Reel.

The original DCP had 12 Reels (Out of which the first 4 reels are intro reels amounting to 17 seconds in all and the fifth reel is where the feature content is).

Interestingly, the duration upto which the DCP plays coincides with the end of this reel (of the original DCP). But I am not sure if it has anything to with it as I have repackaged the DCP and now I have only 1 reel.

Appreciate some input on this as this is the first time I am facing any error of this sort. I am really out of ideas at the moment.

I am on 2.11.34. I have generated quite a few DCPs this way where multiples reels were combined to one but never had any issues.

Thanks in advance.
Carsten

Re: DOM Created DCP Stopped playing abruptly

Post by Carsten »

Very difficult to find a real reason.

What servers were used for these showings?

Funny that, a few days ago, we experienced a show stop within the trailer block as well. It was easy to track down a bad trailer. The Sony server complained and advised to check the verify status. Not sure why the Sony accepts to play it, if it did not perform a full validation successfully. Anyway, we downloaded the trailer again, and the problem went away.

2.11.xx are test versions. You should never use them for productive work. Are you positively sure that 2.11.34 was used to actually encode this content?

Versions 2.11.21 through 2.11.33 had a serious openjpeg bug which caused playback issues on some servers. You may have created a DCP with 2.11.34, but based on MXFs created with a prior version. Or maybe using an encoding server 2.11.21-2.11.33 ?

- Carsten
Guddu

Post by Guddu »

Dear Carsten. Thanks for your reply. Theis was on GDC Servers. In fact, all GDC servers that we have tried this on (5 until now) have had this problem.

I managed to get hold of the logs sent by the tech team but I am not able to open them. File name is fullbackup-2019-09-13.1051ART.tar.bz2.bf-cbc

Would you know how to read this file? This is the same log file that they sent to GDC and also to me upon my request.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

GDC logs are encrypted. Only GDC support can read them. No luck there.

- Carsten