Strong surround sound

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
weathersbydavid

Strong surround sound

Post by weathersbydavid »

I'm new here so I apologize if this has already been answered and I missed it. I have a documentary that is about to have its second screening at a theater that requires DCP. The premiere screening went well with the DCP I created however there is a ton of music in this documentary (it's a doc on music) and the sound wasn't as full as I would like even though I had it at -6db. The volume seemed low even though the file is not low. When I did the test screening for the upcoming screening, the projectionist said there was no signal in the right channel even though it showed both channels when I tested it. He said it was only coming through the left and center channel. Does anyone have any suggestions for settings to not only get the volume up but have a fuller sound? By the way, the file I'm using is a ProRes .mov. Thanks.
scozz76

Re: Strong surround sound

Post by scozz76 »

For features I set the "Integrated Loudness" as close as I can to -21LUFS
Trailers are -19LUFS

Keep an eye on clipping - DCP-O-MATIC will warn you.

I hope this helps.
Carsten

Re: Strong surround sound

Post by Carsten »

There is no simple way to place stereo sound into side and center. Unless you played around with the channel mapping, of course.

Is there language/dialogue in the feature as well? You may use the Mid/Side Decoder to fill L/C/R.

Are you sure the audio in your ProRes Source is properly mapped?

I suggest you reopen the project and create a screenshot of the audio levels view to show here.

- Carsten