Is NTFS delivery 100% acceptable these days?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
xyzzy

Is NTFS delivery 100% acceptable these days?

Post by xyzzy »

I've so far always delivered dcp's on ext3-formatted drives, with no rejections.
Ext3 could prevent some win/mac-users from messing up the drive, but is this the only benefit you get?

To save some time delivering dcp's, I'm considering switching over to NTFS.

Are there any servers out there that won't accept an NTFS-formatted drive???
Carsten

Re: Is NTFS delivery 100% acceptable these days?

Post by Carsten »

While I transfer most of my own stuff using NTFS - I would stick to ext2/ext3 and try to optimize that workflow as far as possible, since you obviously go wider. There have been discussions on the ISDCF mailinglist about wether NTFS should be included as optional/accepted formats, but the general view on this was that it shouldn't and that ext2/ext3 should continue to be the only 'allowed' partition format.

- Carsten
jamiegau

Post by jamiegau »

The push to ext2/3 as an industry standard is notable.

However, I have people call me all the time, trying to get a DCP to be readable by small cinema owner. THese producers who just wants to show there film once to family and production contrinutors..

Its not uncommon for them to have issues getting it onto a file system that a cinema can read.
Typically I just say. USE NTFS. Why, as it is idiot proof. Using a PC or using a Mac with NTFS format add on. Its just works.

The message here, is for many edge cases, just be pragmatic. NTFS.

James
igit

Post by igit »

i'm write every month about 300 HDD with ours films and allways use NTFS.
All cinema servers can read NTFS and user in cinema can check and copy ours HDD on Windows PC