*Solved* Encoding Server: Error during async read

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

*Solved* Encoding Server: Error during async read

Post by Carsten »

Hi,

I am about to do a long feature conversion and maybe a few different versions. So I installed 2.14.11 on both my workstations, hoping to use the second one as an encode server (very effective during prior encodings). However, the encoding server does not encode any frames, instead, after a few seconds into the DCP, all it indicates is a long row of 'Error during async read', followed by same numbers (frame numbers?). On top it says '0 fps'.

I restarted both machines, erased the previous fragment, and tried again - same result.

Master DCP-o-matic seems to be working as expected, just that it shows only half the possible encoding speed, as it receives no frames back from the encoding server. I doubled checked that master and encode server run 2.14.11

I will try a few more things now, but, any idea what is causing this issue?

That error message shows up here shortly, but it is not resolved in detail there:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=379#p1834

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Re: Encoding Server: Error during async read

Post by Carsten »

Okay - trashed prefs on encoding server machine. Started main app, set new prefs as necessary. Restarted encoding server app. No change. Quit encoding server on remote machine, started up encoding server on the master encoding machine (while the encode is still running there). After a few seconds, the encoding server running on the master machine shows encoded frames nicely, no async read errors. So it doesn't seem to be something about the specific 2.14.11 version.

Anything else I can try?

As the long encode is half way trough, I do not want to cancle it - otherwise I would try swapping master and encode server machine for a try.

- Carsten
Carsten

Re: *Solved* Encoding Server: Error during async read

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, strange. Even though it worked with master and encode server running on the same (master) machine, resetting (deleting) all prefs on the master machine now seems to have solved the issue.

The master machine had 2.15.0 installed prior to todays 2.14.11 installation (I think in order to test the performance debugging features of the player a while ago).
Maybe something went wrong in prefs during downgrading from 2.15.0 to 2.14.11 ?

Anyway - after renaming old prefs and letting 2.14.11 recreate new prefs, then loading the previously saved project, the remote encoding server is running nicely now without any error messages. My next guess would have been to recreate the encoding project from scratch (although it was only ever saved from 2.14.11, not 2.15)

- Carsten