add PAC subtitles PC for projecting WITH DCP SERVER

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
master2009

add PAC subtitles PC for projecting WITH DCP SERVER

Post by master2009 »

I have a DCP to screening that has a burn subtitles in engllish
i have also a PAC file with frace subtitles and itis sync file to the English subtitle that is burn in the movie.
how can i play the DCP with my PAC file in sync?
i mean that the DCP will run from DCP server with a DCP Projector
The PAC will run form another PC computer with another projector
and what or how can i SYNC both the dcp server and my PAC computer
that the PAC computer will show the France subtitles in the other project on the side of the room?

thanks
Carsten

Re: add PAC subtitles PC for projecting WITH DCP SERVER

Post by Carsten »

I don't think this will be easy without generating a new DCP. Is that DCP encrypted?

DCI servers have no standard means to output sync signals. Even if, you need hardware and software that is able to read the sync code and display subs with it. I know such things exist, but, there is no broad market for it. I know that some people simply let powerpoint run in parallel with the movie freesync quite often, as they lack a suitable mechanism for a hard sync.

- Carsten
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

You won't be able to do this. At least not with DCI compliant screening server.
Secondary subtitle can be added as closed caption to the DCP itself but the only way to project that sub is with devices like Dolby Captiview or similar. Not with secondary projector.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

After agreeing with all above/before, and based on their posts, I will write that there are some servers that offer Linear Timecode (LTC) output and the SMPTE ST430-10 protocol for synchronising auxiliary content might be the way to implement things, as Gunnar suggested with his reference to CaptiView.
If one can synchronise an avatar signing for the hard of hearing, they can synchronise everything.
Yet, that hack would need some skills and effort.

A few film festivals would invest in such a machine. Though nothing like that appeared independently, even when the DTS and Dolby ScreenTalk offered synchronising methods for one to take advantage, back in the days of the 35mm film.
Nowadays, technology and references are more accessible (less proprietary) than they were back then. Or at least they try to be.

The only "easy" way to do that, but very rough and inaccurate, would be to use the General Purpose Output (GPO) of the Server (or Projector maybe) to synchronise by sending manually-positioned pulses to an external device in predefined times.

I don't know what the original post's author is intended to do.
If the question is put to the end of using an... astuce, a smart solution that is already there or to try to build something out of nothing.

If it is the latter, please let us know how it goes.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There would be a simple/universal solution to this. It is actually already in use for subtitling in cinemas, but it is not open - you have to contract a company so they deal with data and logistics. It uses audio fingerprinting to sync subtitles. The only thing needed is an audio track, not even a wired tap of the cinema audio, but just a microphone in the auditorium. I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement it on a standard computer. However, I know no such application that would allow free use.

- Carsten