Karaoke subtitles in DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
movingshadow3

Karaoke subtitles in DCP

Post by movingshadow3 »

Hello! My problem is that I need to make animated subtitles for dcp. First i tried to make xml+png sequence from subtitle edit, but dcp-o-matic 2 doesn't read the timings. There are my prorepties on screenshot 2. I convert an ASS file to PNG+XML in subtitle edit. ASS is from aegisub. Is it possible, to make animated karaoke subtitles for dcp?
gunnar

Re: Karaoke subtitles in DCP

Post by gunnar »

No, this is not possible.
The only thing would be burning the subtitle to the video as both the interop and smpte standards does not support animated subtitles.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I have created a DCP from a Bluray that had singalong subtitles. They came out 'animated', although being of the VOB style.
This type of animation is certainly limited, but doable.The question is, how do you create them?
Usually, as PNG is performance limited, it is probably best to burn them in, as they then become part of the video signal.

- Carsten
movingshadow3

Post by movingshadow3 »

gunnar wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:32 pm No, this is not possible.
The only thing would be burning the subtitle to the video as both the interop and smpte standards does not support animated subtitles.
Thank you!
movingshadow3

Post by movingshadow3 »

Carsten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:37 pm I have created a DCP from a Bluray that had singalong subtitles. They came out 'animated', although being of the VOB style.
This type of animation is certainly limited, but doable.The question is, how do you create them?
Usually, as PNG is performance limited, it is probably best to burn them in, as they then become part of the video signal.

- Carsten
Thank you!