DCP-o-matic Encoder Server - How can I make it work?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
1000dukes

DCP-o-matic Encoder Server - How can I make it work?

Post by 1000dukes »

Hello All,

I have a feeling I might be bringing up a question that may have been answered severally, so if anyone can point me to the answers that best fits my question, i'll appreciate it greatly.

No here goes my question (or situation)

I have used the DCP-o-matic encoder server feature some time back (about 3 years ago) and I can't remember how I made it work, but all I know is that when the conversion job was going on, on my main server, the encoder server on my other PCs were receiving and sending conversion jobs (even though the speed on the various nodes were low, due to the use of WiFi)

I have tried for some days now to use the same encoder server feature and it seems that the main server is not recognizing other encoder server nodes on my network. At first, I opened the encoder server app on the main conversion server and on all the nodes before commencing my conversion but neither the nodes nor the server could recognize each other. I then started the conversion before opening the encoder server app on the main server and the nodes and there was no change. I even went ahead and added the IP of each of the nodes manually on the main server, all o no avail.

I am currently using Windows 8.1 update 1 on the main server, and all the nodes are running on Windows 10 and the all have the latest version of DCP-o-matic. All the computers are connected to a Gigabit network (CAT 6 Ethernet cables). I have checked and pinged the IP on all the PCs from one another and i'm getting responses, which means that my PCs are seeing each other on the network. I have also checked my firewall and "dcpomatic2_server" is allowed.

Can anyone who understands my predicament please help out.

Thanks

Duke A.
Carsten

Re: DCP-o-matic Encoder Server - How can I make it work?

Post by Carsten »

Usually, DCP-o-matic main will recognize any encode server on the same network automatically at any time, you don't need to follow a specific sequence. Even though you mentioned checking the firewall, I assume there is something wrong. Maybe a secondary firewall/port blocker somewhere?

Which DOM version do you use?

- Carsten
1000dukes

Post by 1000dukes »

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Main Server
Version 2.12.20 git d4f07d4c25 - Windows 8

Other nodes
Version 2.12.13 git 7c40d67965 - Windows 10
Version 2.12.6 git 6ae538e853 - Windows 10
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I possible, do a full install of the current 2.14.x version on all machines - install main app and encoding server on all machines. It might help diagnose the issue if you try encode server detection across all machines. While it is possible to operate different versions of main app and encode server, it is not recommended.

- Carsten