External Hard Drive to Ingest?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jakesinn

External Hard Drive to Ingest?

Post by jakesinn »

Hello all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a LaCie 2TB External Hard Drive to Ingest a DCP to Christie IMB?

Specifically, this external hard drive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NFVXBH/re ... UTF8&psc=1

My concern was if the hard drive would need power, which this one does not have. But obviously, you are able to use small thumb drives to ingest small DCP's.

At what point do you need a power source?

TYIA
phili2p

Re: External Hard Drive to Ingest?

Post by phili2p »

Hi jakesinn,

external hard drives usually will be fine. Not sure about the USB port of your IMB, but you'll usually find USB 2.0 to plug-in your drive. USB 3.0 might be in new server versions (don't know) but USB-C I'd be really careful. With or without external power supply doesn't matter at all. Of course, it'll take more time to ingest than using a CRU drive.

(I'm not sure how familiar you are with preparing drives for ingest, so I recommend to carefully read some threads about formatting and maximum size in this forum.Otherwise use Knut Erik Evensen's knowledge: https://www.knuterikevensen.com/?p=437

Best wishes
Philipp
Carsten

Re: External Hard Drive to Ingest?

Post by Carsten »

The Christie IMB-S2 (first generation Christie IMS) offers a USB 2.0 port for local ingest. The Christie IMS uses an external NAS for DCP storage, ingested DCPs are copied to that NAS during the ingest. That NAS (there are a few different types) usually offers a USB 3.0 ingest port as well. The more recent IMB-S3 supports USB 3.0 as well.

Whatever - with a 2.5" USB disc, and on a USB2.0 ingest port, you have to make sure that the power-up current stays within the 500mA current limit of USB2.0. A little bit more for a short time may be allowed, but, some drives fail on USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 offers up to 900mA of current.

However, most USB 3.0 and USB-C discs are now spec'd for USB2.0 compatibility and should stay within the 500mA current limit.

Frankly, I would avoid USB-C drives for DCP distribution. Some few servers have USB3.0 ports now, but most are still USB2.0. Not a single server I know has USB-C.The USB-C connector as such is not common in cinemas, and, even if you supply a converter cable, it may lead to problems. I recently had to use a USB-C drive that was supplied by a client and I actually glued the converter dongle to the USB-C cable so that it wouldn't get lost during handling. Micro USB 3.0 cables, ending in traditional USB 3.0 or 2.0 A connectors are common in cinemas, and usually, a few of them are always on site.

I don't think it is necessary to buy a 'rugged' drive. Get a decent shipping container, stuffed with foam protection. We regularly get plain vanilla Toshiba 2.5" drives in small plastic cases, protected by foam inside, and a Micro USB3.0->USB3.0/2.0 A cable is always included. We never had a single drive failure. These 2.5" drives are built for notebook use and as such can withstand some kicking.

I you insist on buying a Lacie rugged, I would suggest a standard Rugged Mini with a USB 3.0 port (e.g. LAC301558). A 1TB drive is usually sufficient for normal distribution needs. I think I never saw a distribution drive larger than that. Even multi-feature, multilanguage 2D+3D combo DCPs fit on a 1TB drive.

Absolutely avoid drives larger than 2TB for distribution.

- Carsten