DCP with Resolve Kakadu Jpeg2000

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
altf78

DCP with Resolve Kakadu Jpeg2000

Post by altf78 »

Hi,

I'm trying to make a DCP with Kakadu Jpeg2000 from Resolve without reencode, but DOM always encode the file again. I'm used to make this process and I never had any problem before(I've just updated the software).

I think my settings are correct:
DCPOMATIC.JPG
DCPOMATIC.JPG (55.93 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
Thanks!

d
Andre Tavares
Carsten

Re: DCP with Resolve Kakadu Jpeg2000

Post by Carsten »

Which DCP-o-matic version are you using now? From what I see in your screenshots, it looks as if your DCP settings comply with the MXF properties. But you may need to make extra sure that every setting is the same under 'DCP'.

Are you sure DCP-o-matic is actually re-encoding?

- Carsten
Carsten

Re: DCP with Resolve Kakadu Jpeg2000

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, I don't know if there would be something special about a Resolve/Kakadu MXF, but I don't think so. Anyway, as I still use Resolve 12.x with it's ill-fated JPEG2000 encoder, I did a quick test reusing a DCP and MXF created from within DCP-o-matic. I created a 3min short from an MP4 file, then created a new DCP from

a.) the full DCP ('add DCP')
b.) the individual video and audio MXFs from the same DCP ('add file')

In both cases, the conversion reused the existing media assets, no recompression, which could clearly be seen just by the speed of the conversion (about 20s, including hash calculation). So, whatever it is in your case, at least in 2.14.26 the code to reuse DCPs/MXF apparently is not broken.

Could you upload a short snippet of a Kakadu MXF (could be all black or static, doesn't really matter) for me to try?

- Carsten