DPX Sequence to DCP Flat result

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Kamerawerk

DPX Sequence to DCP Flat result

Post by Kamerawerk »

Hello,
I am trying to make a DCP out of a DPX Sequence. We graded in Davinci Resolve. Format 2K DCI Scope. But when I create a DCP in DCP-o-matic, the Picture looks quite flat compared to the DPX. Even if the base for the DCP was a DNxHR mxf file.
We tested in a cinema today and the client was not happy at all.

If I open the mxf who was created by DCP-o-matic in the VLC Player it looks good. If the base for my DCP was a ProResHQ and I open it in the Quicktime Player it looks good as well. But in the DCP-o-matic Player and in the Cinema it looks far too flat

My question is, what am I doing wrong? I run DCP-o-matic on Mac. There is no possibility for changing the colorspace whats however.

Any help out there?

Regards

Christian
gunnar

Re: DPX Sequence to DCP Flat result

Post by gunnar »

Wild guess but I thing this is a gamma shift.
If you want you can send me for example 1 minute of the footage and I can investigate on my Dolby Mastering software: gunnar@cinelab.is
Carsten

Re: DPX Sequence to DCP Flat result

Post by Carsten »

I would guess data vs. video levels misinterpretation (Resolve offers that choice for every output format). Which version of Resolve do you use?

DCP-o-matic test version 2.15.x has an explicit setting for data vs. video levels (should work at least for common video formats).

I understand that many users seem to think that DPX is the 'most professional' option for uncompressed export. However, there are very many options in DPX that can screw correct interpretation between two different applications - two of them being log vs. lin, and, again, video vs. data levels.

Are you sure that your master has been graded in a calibrated environment?

- Carsten