Video Playback Laggy

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jakesinn

Video Playback Laggy

Post by jakesinn »

Hi all,

I've created a DCP for a feature. I will attach the metadata and coversheet.

When I played back the DCP in DOM Player, most of it was fine - it was really only the end part that was playing back laggy. Will it play like this when ingested?

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: Video Playback Laggy

Post by Carsten »

I don't think so. That DCP is pretty small for it's run time. Did you use the default data rate of 100MBit/s.? Check the playback resolution in player, and set it to quarter resolution. Are you doing this on a Mac?

- Carsten
jakesinn

Post by jakesinn »

Yes, I used the default data rate. Is that wrong? I don’t really know what that does to be honest.

I did set it to quarter resolution, and it still played back like that.

Yes, I am on Mac.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The Mac has some special issues with playback currently.

For a long time, DCP-o-matic used a very conservative default data rate setting of 100MBit/s. Probably because initially, DCP-o-matic was DVD-o-matic and targeted DVD conversions, where 100MBit/s was more than enough. Recently, the default data rate for new installations has been changed to 150MBIt/s, but, existing installations still use the initial setting, even after updates. That's not a big thing, you will have a hard time noticing differences between 100 and 150MBit/s. And it has nothing to do with the playback performance issues. Set it to 150MBit/s and forget about it.

I am sure your DCP is okay. You can play with the window size in the player to see wether playback performance improves. Some settings give a better performance. On most current high-res Macs, full screen is impossible. To make sure everything is okay, you may stop somewhere around the end of your piece and give DCP-o-matic a few seconds to build a playback buffer - if you start playback then, the first seconds will play smoothly.

- Carsten
jakesinn

Post by jakesinn »

Thanks.

I'm going to re-make the DCP. I think it was actually a problem with the original MP4 file.

One thing I was wondering is also about the audio. I want it to play in 5.1. I'll attach the audio map. I don't think it's going to be 5.1 though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Is your source is stereo, how should the DCP become 5.1?
You may play a bit with the Upmixers under DCP->Audio, though. As far as I remember, you have an actual cinema to test the results? Because sometimes, these experimental Upmixers create strange results. If you use a recent DCP-o-matic version, you may need to enable the Upmixers first in advanced prefs before they show up.

- Carsten