Should I build a Stereo mix in a 5.1 Container

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
DCP-Junkie

Should I build a Stereo mix in a 5.1 Container

Post by DCP-Junkie »

Hello,

I built a DCP of a short film and the original file had stereo sound so I set the audio container to Stereo. Got an error/rejection back from a film festival, even though this film has tested and played at other festivals already with no issues. Attached is the detail on the error this particular festival is sending. Would love to hear the opinions from you guys.
Screen Shot Stereo SMPTE.png
Screen Shot Stereo SMPTE.png (71.83 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
carl
Site Admin

Re: Should I build a Stereo mix in a 5.1 Container

Post by carl »

It's a fair point. I have heard on the grapevine of systems that won't play 2-channel DCPs. DCP-o-matic should have given you a warning about it, actually.

If you just change the DCP channel setting to 6 and remake the DCP it should add silence to the spare channels.
DCP-Junkie

Post by DCP-Junkie »

Thank you Carl, that is what I will do. I don't recall seeing an error for it but I could have missed that. Thanks for your speedy reply. :)
Update: Hey Carl, I went in and changed the channels in the DCP Tab and then Audio Tab and I didn't get any kind of warning. Just wanted to update you on that. Thanks again for your help. :)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It is not true that Stereo causes playback issues. Repertoire DCPs from major studios have been issued as 2ch DCPs, and cinema advertising is stereo regularly.

But then again, is it worth arguing with them if it is easy to fix? Recreating the DCP with JUST the audio channel count changed will take only a few minutes even for a full length feature.

- Carsten