Subtitles CPL

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Julian

Subtitles CPL

Post by Julian »

Hi!
IS it possible to make a single master DCP with one main cpl and two extras CPLs for subtitles?
I make for usual Version files, but for a particular request I need do that.

Thanks!
Carsten

Re: Subtitles CPL

Post by Carsten »

You mean a single package with OV and two VF CPLs included? That is not possible currently. One CPL per package/DCP.

I recently had some idea about a simple way in the GUI to allow multi CPL packages. Unfortunately, I did not write it down...but I'm sure it will come back to me... ;-)

- Carsten
Julian

Post by Julian »

Hi Thanks!
Ok, but what would do the option thats appears in the manual:

Making a complete DCP with projector-added subtitles
Start a new DCP-o-matic film.
Click Add DCP... and specify your existing DCP's folder.
Add your subtitles to the film in whatever format you have.
Check the subtitle appearance in the preview; it will be slow to respond as it is having to decompress images from the existing DCP. Adjust the appearance using controls in the Subtitle tab if required.
Choose Make DCP from the menu.

best!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That would create a new VF package based on an existing OV package. They would both have to be ingested separately (on some systems). Which is usually no big deal. Projectionists get this all the time. As a matter of fact, most OV+VF ingests I see on our systems use that approach.

This is a question of DCP playback server usability/GUI. From my perspective as a projectionist, it doesn't matter wether an OV and VF come as two separate DCPs/packages, or wrapped in a single package containing all CPLs. Both ways have slight advantages or disadvantages, depending on the servers way to deal with it. But it's hardly ever a problem.

There are servers where you can not even notice the difference between individual and combined packages, because of the way they present CPLs in the ingest module.

But maybe I did not understand your initial question the right way. You can create as many VFs from the same OV as you like. I remember creating a festival entry with 11 different subtitle languages - one OV, 11 VFs. It is actually quite simple once the first VF has been created, as you only need to change the subtitle file, make sure the DCP/CPL name has changed accordingly, and hit 'Make DCP', everything else can stay as it is.

But one OV and two subtitled VFs/CPLs will result in three separate DCPs in three separate folders - one ending into _OV, two ending into _VF.