hardware improvement speed encoding

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
discotoo

hardware improvement speed encoding

Post by discotoo »

Bonjour Carl,

Je suis projectionniste dans un cinema du sud de la France et votre logiciel nous rend bien des services bravo pour le travail fait.
j aurai juste une question pour amélioré la vitesse d'encodage il vaut mieux changer le processeur ou la carte graphique ?
je met en moyenne 5h pour un film de 2h en 150 mbps c largement rapide mais c juste pour savoir.. sachant que j'ai un i7 7700k et gpu gtx 970 et 16 go de ram en ddr3.. je dirai le processeur mais je suis pas sur

Merci et encore merci pour ce super logiciel.

Guillaume :D

en anglais:

Hello Carl,

I am a projectionist in a cinema in the south of France and your software is doing us a lot of service, well done for the work done.
I will just have a question to improve the encoding speed it is better to change the processor or the graphics card?
I put on average 5 hours for a film of 2 hours in 150 mbps c largely fast but c just to know .. knowing that I have an i7 7700k and gpu gtx 970 and 16 gb of ram in ddr3 .. I will say the processor but I am not sure

Thank you and thank you again for this great software.

Guillaume :D
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: hardware improvement speed encoding

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Si je pouvais partager mon avis sur le sujet:
Actuellement, il serait préférable si vous changeriez le processeur (ou si vous ajouteriez plus des processeurs/ordinateurs).
La carte graphique ne participe pas á l’encodage fait en DCP-o-matic.

If I may barge in:
For the time being, it would be better if you changed the processor (or add more processors or computers with processors).
The graphics card does not take part in the encoding with DCP-o-matic. (Again, so far.)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The more CPU cores, the better. I don't know which CPUs your motherboard supports, but, for DCP-o-matic J2K encoding, the number of cores (incl. Hyperthread/virtual cores) is far more important than CPU clock. So, a 6,8,10,12 core HT CPU would be an improvement over your current 4/8HT core CPU. Very cost efficient currently are AMDs Ryzen 9 39xx CPUs - but you will need a different mainboard and probably also RAM to run it. But maybe you can find an intel upgrade to the i7-7700 with more cores. Another option is to use network encoding, e.g. one or multiple PCs on a network.

- Carsten
discotoo

Post by discotoo »

d'accord merci pour ces informations IoannisSyrogiannis et Carsten cela me confirme pour le processeur et non le gpu et je ne savais pas pour le nombre de coeur physique et virtuel par rapport a la frequence.. je suis en socket 1150 donc effectivement il serait plus interessant pour moi de passer a un ryzen la difference sera plus significative.

Encore merci pour ces informations
Guillaume

ok thank you for this information IoannisSyrogiannis and Carsten this confirms me for the processor and not the gpu and I did not know for the number of physical and virtual core compared to the frequency .. I am in socket 1151 so actually it would be more interesting for me to move to a ryzen the difference will be more significant.

Thank you again for this information
Guillaume :D :D

sorry my english is bad like a lot of french lol he's a translator
Last edited by discotoo on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.