Playlist

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
kto1201

Playlist

Post by kto1201 »

Hi DCPoMatic forum.

First time poster here. Just want to know how I can created a composition playlist?

Heres my situation: I have an encrypted DCP that I need to add a logo at the beginning. So I put the logo dcp file and I put the encrypted file afterwards. I tried to "make DCP" and it says i need a KDM to do this. At the moment, I don't have a KDM. I spoke to a lab and they say I need a composition playlist. So any way I can go about this? Thank you

kto
carl
Site Admin

Re: Playlist

Post by carl »

Hi there,
It's not 100% clear what they mean. Do you want the lab to make this combined DCP? If so, I'd guess they probably just want you to make a DCP containing your logo. That would contain a composition playlist (CPL) which they could merge with this encrypted DCP (assuming they have a KDM). Or you can do the combining yourself if you can get a KDM. Although you would then need to make new KDMs for anybody that wanted to play the combined DCP.
Best,
Carl
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Who has the rights for this encrypted DCP? Who issues the KDMs for it?

Basically, every playable DCP already contains a composition playlist. Your Encrypted DCP already contains a composition playlist that probably defines video and audio to be played from start to the end. What they mean is, to add your logo, you need a modified composition playlist that plays the logo ahead of the rest. You need to get a (D)KDM for the encrypted DCP in order to combine your logo with it within DCP-o-matic.

Is this for a single showing, or 'mass distribution'? You can always create an SPL (Show Playlist) which plays your logo ahead of the encrypted DCP in any cinema. However, it is the responsibility of the cinema/projectionist to put them in sequence, on each and every site that will play this feature. With a modified composition playlist containing your logo, it will always be correct, no matter what the cinema/projectionist does.

- Carsten
kto1201

Post by kto1201 »

Hi Carl and Carsten. The intention is for mass distribution so SPL would have it's problems. I would be able to get a (d)kdm but it would have its costs and given the time needed, it would make more sense to have my lab do it for me.

Given both your comments, I think I can solve this problem if only it wasn't encrypted. Anyways, appreciated the advice. I'll keep trying at this. Thank you :lol: :lol: