Audio level

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
studiodesaviateurs

Audio level

Post by studiodesaviateurs »

Hi everyone
i'm new on this forum.
Here's my question.
Is there a way to have my DCP played at a specific volume.
For example : i have 3 movies in a playlist
the 1st one is to be played at 4.7, the second one at 5 and the 3rd one at 4.5.
studiodesaviateurs

Re: Audio level

Sorry i've forgot something.
The audio decoder is a DATASAT AP 20.
Thanks
José Vicente - Studio des Aviateurs (France)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

A cinema audio processor like the AP20 is usually tied to the cinema's DCP player through a control interface that allows the server to control the processor through so called format and level cues. When you create a playlist on the server that is meant to play your three titles in a sequence, you can add these cues at arbitrary times - even within a title.

Just yesterday I needed to add volume cues to a title that was cut together from multiple individual clips which varied in volume considerably. In short time, there was no way to get back to the original content creators to adjust this in the source. So I added volume cues towards our AP20 to raise the volume by a specific amount at 1min16s, and reduce it to another value at 4min15. That is a method that is restricted to a specific cinema, and a projectionist willing to actually build a playlist that way. You can not create a DCP in a way that a suitable SPL is generated at all cinemas automatically that way.

However, there a methods in DCP-o-matic to adjust a DCPs volume before you distribute it. I could have done that with the specific title as well, but, in the short time given, adding two volume cues to the SPL simply was the faster on-the-fly method, also because it was a one-time presentation.

Not every cinema may have the ability to control the audio processor volume through server cues. I know some cinemas with outdated processors that do not support it, or projectionists simply lacking the knowledge. Most, however, are able to do it and e.g. regularly use volume cues to adjust playback volume between preshow and main feature.

Most servers need to be setup by a tech to support volume cues, as most processors use a specific command set.

- Carsten
studiodesaviateurs

Many thanls Carsten.
José