What is right way to make multilingual DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Vytookas

What is right way to make multilingual DCP

Post by Vytookas »

When I import 1 video and 2 Audio file into the program, it creates 2x longer timeline in which two movies with different languages ​​go one after the other. Is this how it should be or am I doing something wrong?
Maybe a separate playlists are needed for each language?
Carsten

Re: What is right way to make multilingual DCP

Post by Carsten »

You need to create two 'separate' DCPs - one with video + audio1, one with video + audio2. You should not import both language audio tracks at the same time.

There are two ways to accomplish this - two OV DCPs, or one OV + a VF (version file). The latter saves the storage space for the video file by referencing it from the first/OV DCP.

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch05s03.html#idp6

Unlike on a DVD, Bluray, or with typical streaming formats, a DCP does not offer multiple language audio tracks to be within a presentation - you can not switch languages during playout. Every language version is a separate playout list, 'CPL', you need to make a clear choice which language to play before you start the playout. If you want to change the language, you have to stop, reselect a different CPL, and start to play it. This is an intentional choice.

- Carsten
Vytookas

Post by Vytookas »

Carsten wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm There are two ways to accomplish this - two OV DCPs, or one OV + a VF (version file). The latter saves the storage space for the video file by referencing it from the first/OV DCP.
When I creating a VF, the timeline shows me that it has two audio tracks, although checkbox in the audio tab for the parts of the DCP was inactive. And I can't remove or mute sound from OV DCP. So when I play back an already finished VF DCP, two audio tracks sounds together. What was wrong?

Also, when playing the VF DCP on DCP-o-matic player, you must also specify where is OV DCP. And what action do it on the projector?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can deselect the individual tracks of the OV DCP audio to disable them. Then add the new soundfile.

I understand that, for the process of supplying a new audiotrack, this seems unnecessarily complicated - however, the OV/VF workflow is universal to enable adding video, audio, or subtitles. So, it is necessary to disable the unneeded tracks/media deliberately.
A very typical process e.g. would be to create a VF with only subtitles being added - in that case, you would reference both image and original audio from the source OV.

So:

- Create a new project
- Add your original language DCP to it
- set your DCP parameters to match those of the original DCP (container type, resolution, etc)
- check the 'Use this DCP's video as OV and create VF' checkbox
- under audio, deselect all audio channels in the matrix
- add your new audio, adjust necessary settings
- create DCP/VF

The current test version 2.15.x offers some additional options to make this a bit easier. But it is not necessary to use the test version to create an audio VF successfully.

The DCP-o-matic player needs you to assign an OV before you can play a VF. On a real DCI server, this is not necessary. If you ingest the OV and the VF onto the server, the server will automatically use the OV components when the VF is selected for playout.

- Carsten
Vytookas

Post by Vytookas »

Yes, in the manual about the sound matrix were not mentioned, so I did not know how to remove the sound from the original video. Now I did how you wrote and everything works.
It's just hard to not forget something, because you need constantly to switch from one tab to another to check is it everything ok.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Would you have enough screen space to look at all those tabs at the same time?
Vytookas

Post by Vytookas »

A lot. I don't think anyone is working with small screens today. For example, I have two 3K monitors of 32 inches.
P.S.
When I restore maximized window and then maximize it back, it is very difficult to resize timing tab. Because restored window doesn't remember it last size, this problem occur sometimes.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

So you mean when you change the size of the window and then maximise it, the timing tab changes size?
Vytookas

Post by Vytookas »

Yes, content window become to small and shows not all buttons. It is VERY difficult to drag timing window down to resize.
Window.jpg
Window.jpg (27.4 KiB) Viewed 6561 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK, thanks, I'll take a look; I added a bug for this to the tracker.