Unable to trim existing DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
schmaxx

Unable to trim existing DCP

Post by schmaxx »

Hi Carl and others,

I've made a DCP, and want to trim a few frames off the end. I've followed all the instructions about re-loading the DCP into a new project with exactly the same name etc. And checked the "Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF" box.

I push Make DCP, but I always get a popup box saying

"Checking Contents for Changes"
"These files will be re-examined, so you may need to check their settings. Choose 'Make DCP' again when you have done this"

The program examines content "OK (ran for 0:00:01", but nothing else really happens. There is nothing for me to check settings wise, it is exactly the same as the original DCP.

I click 'Make DCP' again and the same message pops up. I can't seem to get past this popup box for "Checking Contents"

I'm running 2.14.41, but it also did this in the previous version.
I'm on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

I've emailed the LOG file to carl@dcpomatic.com

Thank you kindly, for any help.

Max
Last edited by schmaxx on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Unable to create trim existing DCP

Post by carl »

Hi there,

Thanks for sending the log. It looks like when you re-loaded the DCP into a new project, you loaded the whole of the old DCP-o-matic project. This kind of works, but the log file inside the project folder confuses DCP-o-matic as it keeps changing, which makes DCP-o-matic think the content has changed.

Can you try again, but instead of adding

/Volumes/your_film_name_01 /DCP/your_film_name

please add

/Volumes/your_film_name_01 /DCP/your_film_name/your_film_name_FTR-1_F-178_51_4K_20201016_SMPTE_OV

to the new project.

In fact, looking again, maybe you added the project to itself? It would probably be better to make a whole new project in a new directory, then add the DCP from the previous project.
schmaxx

Re: Unable to trim existing DCP

Post by schmaxx »

Thank you Carl,

That fixed that problem perfectly. Appreciated.

Could I ask another question please if you have time?

I'm trying to trim 3 seconds off the end of this DCP. I've sorted all that out in the Timing section, but when I "Make DCP", it Transcodes for 0:00:01, but the new DCP that is made is 37kb.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you kindly,

Max
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Maybe you have "Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF" ticked? It not, perhaps you could send the metadata.xml file from your project.
schmaxx

Post by schmaxx »

Thanks Carl,

I did have that box ticked, as I thought that was the way to trim the DCP without it having to Transcode the whole thing again. I unticked it and it's Transcoding again. Although it is going a bit faster than the first time around.

Thank you,

Max
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It's one way to do it; then you would need to send both DCPs to the cinema and ask them to play the small one (which can be confusing).

They way you have it now you'll get a standalone DCP. It should be fairly quick as it will re-use the data.

One day perhaps DoM will have the feature where it can leave the asset alone and make a new CPL which refers to part of it, but it's not there yet.