Why do I need use DoM instead Davinci Resolve?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
olegaleks

Why do I need use DoM instead Davinci Resolve?

Post by olegaleks »

Hello. Please explain to me why I need to use DCP-o-matic if I have Davinci Studio and can make DCP from Davinci? Davinci resolve uses GPU for rendering, and rendering takes about 2.5 - 3 times less time than DCP-o-matic. I don't see any difference in quality, so can you give me a reason to use DCP-o-matic? Thank you.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Why do I need use DoM instead Davinci Resolve?

Post by carl »

Obviously you should use whatever you want :) I don't pay close attention to Resolve, but here are some features that (as I understand it) you might need to use DCP-o-matic for (correct me if I am wrong...!)
  • subtitles
  • closed captions
  • encryption / KDM creation
  • creation of version files (VFs)
  • multiple reels
Also - DCP-o-matic is free ("free as in beer", so you don't need to pay for it, and "free as in speech", so you can see how it works and modify it).
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

If your content already is a Resolve project, and all you need to do is to create a simple, 'straight' DCP, you should probably use Resolve. However, if your content is an existing master file, you would first need to find your ways through Resolve editing rooms, import, color settings, audio channel assignments, etc. It is far more easier to convert an existing video file with DCP-o-matic. Also, Resolve is very limited in it's DCP options.

As a matter of fact, if your content is a Resolve project, you may even use both Resolve AND DCP-o-matic. Resolve to create a straight DCP using the fast Kakadu Encoder, and DCP-o-matic to refine the DCP or create versions, add subtitles, captions,etc., all without re-encoding J2K.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdent02

Post by jdent02 »

Carsten wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:08 pm If your content already is a Resolve project, and all you need to do is to create a simple, 'straight' DCP, you should probably use Resolve. However, if your content is an existing master file, you would first need to find your ways through Resolve editing rooms, import, color settings, audio channel assignments, etc. It is far more easier to convert an existing video file with DCP-o-matic. Also, Resolve is very limited in it's DCP options.

As a matter of fact, if your content is a Resolve project, you may even use both Resolve AND DCP-o-matic. Resolve to create a straight DCP using the fast Kakadu Encoder, and DCP-o-matic to refine the DCP or create versions, add subtitles, captions,etc.

- Carsten
That’s what I’ve done for encryption: created the original DCP in Resolve and then imported it to generate an encrypted DCP with DOM. Worked like a charm.
olegaleks

Post by olegaleks »

Thank you for the answers.