Subtitle relative sizing with SRT

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Margus Voll

Subtitle relative sizing with SRT

Post by Margus Voll »

Hi.

I wnder how to determine good subtitle sizing and placement parameters for 2k 2.39 film?

I have some visual references that i usually do in Resolve but have no experience in DOM.
Carsten

Re: Subtitle relative sizing with SRT

Post by Carsten »

There is probably a lot to be said about subtitles...

In my opinion, there should only be perceptional terms be considered, along with a minimal technical issue - safe frame.
DCP-o-matic automatically puts SRTs to the standard safe frame, that is, 5% from the lower frame border (offset=0). Some say that this is not enough for critical screen setups (like curved scope screens where quite a bit of cropping can occur on the bottom), so you may increase that offset a bit.

I also think there are different intentions for subtitles - in some cases, the piece must be subtitled for formal reasons - e.g. for a festival entry. Some filmmakers do that, but hate it because they feel the subtitles destroy their image. I often see these films on festivals where the subtitles have been set very low and very small so they just comply with the submission rules, but are not really meant to serve their original purpose.

If you want a fully translated piece with subtitles, they should be large enough so even sight impaired people can read them from the back seats.
Even people NOT actually needing the subtitles for understanding can be bothered by tiny subtitles, because our vision and brain still try to read them usually, and it is very challenging to do that if they are to small or the font/color choice is bad. So, also color and outline do play a role.

Very often, subtitles are prepared on a monitor within a close viewing distance. One can try to simulate a cinema viewing experience by creating a typical screen viewing distance of e.g. 2 times the display width. Don't be too creative with the font choice, unless there are specific reasons.
Also, try to avoid too short display times. Some people seem to think that every single word needs to be translated - but often that creates a hasty presentation with not enough time to read. Better leave the more important stuff on screen and omit the obvious. Neither do subtitles have to appear the exact fraction of a second a dialog line starts, nor do they have to vanish exactly on the end of the phrase. Try to set the timing and line length so that a first time viewer has enough time to get it.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Margus Voll

Post by Margus Voll »

Thanks for getting back to me.

I usually burn subs in for festivals etc but this time production asks they be not burned in.

As i have not done them before in DOM i was looking parameters (sizing) that are "common" in 2k tüpical projection if you have.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

In my opinion, the standard settings for SRT should work fine.

- Carsten
Margus Voll

Post by Margus Voll »

Hi.

Brilliant, thanks!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can open the subtitled DCP in DCP-o-matic player, display full screen, then step back a bit to about 2 screen widths distance. That should give you a somewhat realistic impression.