How to add the corrected video fragment to DCP package?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
movingshadow3

How to add the corrected video fragment to DCP package?

Post by movingshadow3 »

Hello! Have a problem with adding a short video fragment as overlay V in ready DCP package. I tried to make another short DCP from the corrected video fragment (it had new sound also), make new project in DCP-o-matic, use ready DCP as OV, and new short DCP as VF. When I add main DCP to project, the VF option is ok, but when i add new DCP, it goes gray. After render VF this way an error comes out, and the VF does not open in Dcp-O-Matic player.
I know, that more often VF is used to make subtitles or audio overlay, but it there a simple way to solve my problem? There is not so much info in official guide to Dcp-O-Matic.
Carsten

Re: How to add the corrected video fragment to DCP package?

Post by Carsten »

You need to set all parameters the same as the original DCP. Resolution, audio channel count, etc. If you want to replace a short piece of video+audio, a VF is not a useful method, as you would need to create splices/or double content in dcp-o-matic. In most cases, VF creation makes only sense if both OV AND VF can/should be used. If you want to repair a DCP where you still have the original version - create another OV and skip the VF approach. Such edits using VFs should only be done if the OV is already in circulation and where it would be too cumbersome or expensive or time consuming to revoke/reship a new OV.

- Carsten
movingshadow3

Post by movingshadow3 »

Carsten wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:24 pm You need to set all parameters the same as the original DCP. Resolution, audio channel count, etc. If you want to replace a short piece of video+audio, a VF is not a useful method, as you would need to create splices/or double content in dcp-o-matic. In most cases, VF creation makes only sense if both OV AND VF can/should be used. If you want to repair a DCP where you still have the original version - create another OV and skip the VF approach. Such edits using VFs should only be done if the OV is already in circulation and where it would be too cumbersome or expensive or time consuming to revoke/reship a new OV.

- Carsten
Thank you very much for the answer! The problem is that DCP is already in circulation, i have only a copy of it on my workstation and i need to make a VF to send it to the people, and some people want to watch old version of material. Also they wanted me to make a VF, and I can't say no( That's why I need to make such useless work. When i set all the parameters the same as the original DCP but without sound, can i overlay picture only in every part of the material (something like a patch).
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Can you upload a sketch showing your intended change? I'm not sure if it's possible within the current version. But I'd try myself if I understand correctly what you are trying to achieve.

- Carsten