Incorrect display of parameters

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Cooller89

Incorrect display of parameters

Post by Cooller89 »

Hello! My DCP package displays strangely on the Doremi DCP2000 server.
I did not find the Company parameter where it can be changed in D-O-M. Soundtrack config instead of 5.1 is written 2K, in the territory for some reason the sound configuration 51

version 2.15.81

Carsten

Re: Incorrect display of parameters

Post by Carsten »

You don't set these under Identifiers, but under ISDCF Naming defaults. You should leave all identifier fields in prefs empty for now. They are for very special purposes.

Plus, you then need to let DCP-o-matic assemble the DCP/CPL name automatically ('Use ISDCF name' under DCP tab), so it can put the right fields where they need to be.

Carl - shouldn't Identifiers better be set under the Advanced Prefs Tab? Maybe it's also a good idea to populate them with the defaults that DCP-o-matic actually uses if not set otherwise?

- Carsten
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-21 um 15.16.37.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-21 um 15.16.37.png (145.7 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-21 um 15.15.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-21 um 15.15.12.png (76.94 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The advanced tab is already pretty full, but I guess we could move these things in there. They shouldn't do any harm, though, no matter what they are set to.

If they are left blank the default DCP-o-matic values should be used.

Regarding the original problem, I seem to remember this happening before and if I remember right the Doremi was using an out-of-date or faulty method to read the parts out of the ISDCF name. But the first step would be, as Carsten says, to set up the metadata in the ISDCF name dialogue so that DCP-o-matic can make a "standards compliant" name for your DCP.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It's true, not all servers, and server software versions read out this information correctly. Some later software versions nowadays already use CPL metadata. One can assume that, if present, CPL metadata is more reliable than the ISDCF name with no metadata present.

- Carsten
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

Carsten wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am It's true, not all servers, and server software versions read out this information correctly. Some later software versions nowadays already use CPL metadata. One can assume that, if present, CPL metadata is more reliable than the ISDCF name with no metadata present.

- Carsten

I've always pressed the copy as name to title from ISDCF button. Do I understand correctly that this is not necessary?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

No. Copy as name is used if you want to alter the precomposed name manually. Usually, Copy as Name alone should not cause any harm if you don't modify the text afterwards. However, there are different ways to interpret the ISDCF name, there have been different versions of this formatting, and not all servers do it right.

As you can see, the ISDCF recommends that all fields should be present, and empty fields should be filled with 'NULL':

'There MUST be an entry in EVERY field. Some systems count the number of “_” (underscores) to parse the information (NOT RECOMMENDED – BUT it’s done). If you have a non-relevent field, fill it with the letters “NULL”.'

https://www.isdcf.com/site/dcnc/

But I think I have never seen a single DCP/CPL that actually makes use of 'NULL'. It would make real world DCP names very unreadable.

Sometimes, e.g. I erase the Feature version number manually, or I erase the OV extension if I do not plan to issue a VF, delete other unnecessary stuff that would e.g. make:

LastJedi_TLR-1-2D_S_EN-XX_INT_51_2K_DI_20171013_DTB_IOP_OV

into

LastJedi_TLR_S_EN-XX_51_2K_DI_20171013_DTB_IOP

Actually, these ISDCF names were never meant to be interpreted automatically. They were only meant to help the human operator with some experience and intuition, so, they don't follow a very strict formatting. The servers do not actually care. They may display it for convenience. The only real impact on Doremis is the Content Type (FTR, TLR, etc.), as the Doremi arranges content by content type in the Cinelister editor so it's a bit easier to tell features from trailers, ads, etc. when building playlists.