Running DOM on M1 Mac?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Running DOM on M1 Mac?

Post by Carsten »

Would be interesting to see results for the Sintel Benchmark:

https://dcpomatic.com/benchmarks/

Big Buck Bunny is no longer suited for fast machines, also no realistic task, as the source is low res.
alex.shultz

Post by alex.shultz »

I usually make scope trailers for the theater. I start with ProRes 422 files at 2048x858. I output scope and DOM seems to be OK with not needing to resize anything.

I get about 7.8-8fps on a scope image. The Mac Mini (lowest-end model at 8GB) runs the 8 cores all out for the full time. It doesn't seem to touch the GPU at all.

I tried a BluRay rip for a bit to see what it would do and it was going about 10fps from the first couple of minutes of that film before I stopped it. I can do a test on a full length rip overnight and see what happens. The image from that started as a 1920x1080 but I had DOM crop it to get it close to scope. There were still some black bars on the left/right but they were not large. Ended up with almost a full frame image for scope output.

I don't know if that is very helpful. I'd be willing to do something "standard" if there is something you like to use as a benchmark.
alex.shultz

Post by alex.shultz »

carl wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:20 pm I like the benchmarking ideas, thanks! I added a feature request to the tracker.

It looks like I can build for M1 using my x86 Catalina system (though it will mean yet another set of macOS download links which will only work on Big Sur, I think). It remains to be seen how to test it; the current options seem to be

- buy a M1 mac mini
- wait until some cloud provider offers them and test on that
- hope that some DoM user gets a mac and is willing to do some testing :)
I'd be willing to try some tests for you. I can do tests on a Mini and a MacBook Air, each with 8gb ram and 256gb storage. They are the lowest-end models. If there is something I can do to hep out I'd sure like to try it.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

That's very helpful, thank you. I have a bit of work to do yet on getting DoM to build for the apple-arm but I'll let you know when I've got something to test!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The build here should contain a universal binary for both Intel and ARM.

I would be interested to hear if it even runs on a M1 mac, and if it does, whether it's definitely running the ARM binary (not using rosetta); it looks like you can tell this by doing something like described here.

I haven't tested this on a M1 mac so it's a bit of a long shot. If there are serious problems I'll probably rent a cloud M1 and see if I can fix them there.