Private film premiere in an IMAX

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
dargon_master

Re: Private film premiere in an IMAX

Post by dargon_master »

scorpio81 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:03 am Hi! I'd like to add some hopefully useful info to this topic.
I think it's best to create full container DCP with an image filling it completely. IMAX has no problem projecting these DCPs.
I had problems projecting encrypted 4K DCP, no matter what I did. But no problems with encrypted 2K or unencrypted 4K. So if you want encryption then make a short test DCP first.
I spoke once to an IMAX service technician and technically it is possible to project non-IMAX content with two projectors but he never revealed me how to do it. I guess it's something to do with an Image Enhancer settings.
The title card saying "This Is Not The IMAX Experience" is displayed only for FTR DCP longer than 30 minutes (if I remember it correctly from IMAX manuals). So it is possible to create, say, TST DCP to avoid this card. But I never did it myself so it's better to try.
HDMI Aux shows run out of both projectors, up to 4k 24fps. Its really picky on what sources work and when it does it messes with the gamma. Technically it could be possible to run dual projector for non-IMAX DCPs, but it would be very unlikely. When you put together a show playlist, there are the automation cues you can manually add, but there are ones that are automatically added we don't have macros for. So if you could get a macro built for IMAX_LF shows then that would work. But IMAX has a stronghold on that and I highly doubt they'd add one for you. We had to fight them for a long time and have people email QCO to get them to make us a -5db cue for trailers.

I'll try the 30 minute test DCP, I don't think I've ever made anything over 30 minutes that I didn't mark as a feature. I can't test encryption though, IMAX won't give us our certs. But I can say without a doubt that at least on our Dual Laser GT that unencrypted high bitrate 4k runs perfectly.

Pro tip: if you do run your film in IMAX, make sure you start with 2 seconds of black. If you don't your picture will either start late or flicker 90% of the time for the first couple seconds.
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

I can't test encryption though, IMAX won't give us our certs.
Luckily IMAX had sent us their cert when we needed it to order KDM for a non-IMAX feature film. But this was our management and film's distributor who have asked for the cert.
But I can say without a doubt that at least on our Dual Laser GT that unencrypted high bitrate 4k runs perfectly.
That's absolutely right, it runs also on dual Xenon setup.
Pro tip: if you do run your film in IMAX, make sure you start with 2 seconds of black. If you don't your picture will either start late or flicker 90% of the time for the first couple seconds.
Yeah, already know that. All IMAX content includes these 2 seconds of black at the beginning and the end for that reason.
simonza

Post by simonza »

Hi again :)

to the ones that wanted to test some dcps: we're you successfull?

I was in contact with the cinema in Leonberg where the biggest IMAX in the world currently gets build and the "head of projection" told me that every format can be played there even in 1,43 and with IMAX sound.

They are still on bare brickwork so I highly doubt that they already have the projector or anything else and that he ist just not well informed.

Or is it possible that there will be a "new" kind of IMAX digital projection? Was there any kind of announcement?

I followed up his email with some point out of this thread (max. Flat for non-IMAX dcps etc.) but I didn't get an answer, yet.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

This head of projection probably has not enough insight yet.
Of course their system will be able to play 1.43 and IMAX sound. Just not using home-brew DCPs.

No, there is no 'new' IMAX projection system.
GT73

Post by GT73 »

Could some of you provide an IMAX 1.43:1 DCP trailer?. Need it to replicate. And do a screening of something.