Re: about sub

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
kitten

about sub

Post by kitten »

hey~

How to make 3D subtitles? The 3D subtitles I made now play in the cinema. It looks dizzy

I have a left/right eye 3D frame in MKV format.
There is a SRT subtitle, which has no left/right eyes
I imported the movie and subtitles, and chose "subtitle as image input"Making 3D DCP

When I try to play in the cinema, I feel dizzy when I watch the subtitles with 3D glasses, and the effect is not very good
Last edited by kitten on Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess we need some more information to answer that question.
Last edited by Carsten on Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

So did you burn the subtitles into the DCP? At the moment this just overlays the same on both eyes. Perhaps this looks strange? Maybe we should try to move the subtitles out of the screen?
kitten

Post by kitten »

Of course, I make subtitles into "subtitles have image output", and then make them into DCP. When I play them in the future, the picture will have 3D effect, but the subtitles will not.
kitten

Post by kitten »

I have checked this position
“burn subtitles into image"and "3D"
But the DCP, the subtitle, has no 3D effect

Can someone help me?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well, actually it DOES have 3D effect - just that, the subtitle is always positioned in the screen plane (zero parallax). That is not optimal if it overlays 3D image elements that protrude forward from the screen (negative parallax). The trouble ist, to properly place subtitles in 3D space, you would have to align every subtitle with the 3D depth aspects of the scene. That is a heck of a lot of work, as there is usually no one-size-fits-all setting.
In those cases where I have seen 3D captions so far, they have always been rendered into the image with their own depth settings. But these are usually a few captions per feature, not a fully subtitled one.
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Indeed, it wouldn't be so hard to have a fixed 3D depth for subtitles, but I don't know if that would be any better than always putting them in the plane of the screen. And as far as I can see it's basically impossible to preview this, so you'd have to "hit and hope".

We could try it: I could add a configuration option of how far forward to place subtitles... so long as someone can test it? I no longer have any access to a 3D screen to investigate.