Colour space

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Colour space

Post by Carsten »

by the way - why are these files 2048/1024? What are the project resolution settings?
All4one

Post by All4one »

The Resolution of the film is 2048x1024, so i will use 2048x1080 container and deal with some small black bars top/bottom. I would not like to crop to be honest because we framed the film for 2:1.

The Arri people gave me a Prores 444 XQ but in Log-C (and gave me a Loc-C to P3-D65) lut for the export in resolve.
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 3724 times

So I will try to Export a DPX or Tiff from Resolve and see were it takes me :D
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DPX has too many variables, you should better use TIFF and video levels (so you can use DCP-o-matic 2.14.x, that does not have the limited/full range option yet).

If you use a 2048/1080 container, you will have cropping anyway at the cinemas, because no cinema is set up for full containers. They are for test purposes only. You should create a standard flat 1998/1080 container and fit your content into it by either cropping or scaling.

Still unanswered - which version of Resolve do you use?
dff.ffm

Post by dff.ffm »

If you use a 2048/1080 container, you will have cropping anyway at the cinemas, because no cinema is set up for full containers.
Carsten, most arthouses have presets for Full Container and F-200. Those two show seldom up, but even commercial features exist.
My first dcp in format "C", a children-feature "Lola auf der Erbse" was shown by mistake at Scope...
By the way - Midsommar was in 1:2.

TG
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

While a full container has a near 2:1 aspect ratio, F-200 presets use cropping from 2048/1080 to 1998/999 (or, if set up incorrectly, show overshooting with full containers).

F-200 presets show an 1998*999 image, not 2048/1024. If you project a full container in F-200, you will have cropping both on the sides as well as on top/bottom.
The audience will probably not notice a small amount of cropping, but it doesn't make sense to create a full container in order to avoid cropping of the image. I have never seen a C-Preset in any cinema (except for our own ;-) )

I have shown quite a few 2:1 features in recent years, but they were all in F-200. With the exception of the current 'Der Rausch'/'Another Round' - which is, stupidly, formatted in S-200.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Carsten wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:19 pm ...
I have shown quite a few 2:1 features in recent years, but they were all in F-200. With the exception of the current 'Der Rausch'/'Another Round' - which is, stupidly, formatted in S-200.
That was not the mastering facility's call but the director's.
While that wouldn't be my choice, I see some merit. I, for one, wouldn't call it stupid.
(Not my intention to argue on the "what is best"/"what should have been done" matter.)
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

IoannisSyrogiannis wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:25 am That was not the mastering facility's call but the director's.
While that wouldn't be my choice, I see some merit. I, for one, wouldn't call it stupid.
(Not my intention to argue on the "what is best"/"what should have been done" matter.)

Correct, I even got a phone call from that lab after I sent them a line to point this out. They explained to me that this was artistic choice from the production crew.
So I agree, it is not fair to call it stupidity.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It's my free choice to still call it stupid, and I don't care wether the mastering facility or the director made that decision.
They also created a DCP with the lowest possible resolution that way. Usually these decisions are made without full consideration of the typical screen designs in theatres. If there would be any real benefit in an S-200 framing, we would see more of these DCPs. I'm glad we don't.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Carsten wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:02 am It's my free choice to still call it stupid, and I don't care whether...
You are right! It's your prerogative to call it what you want. You don't have to argue on the matter and you can disregard my comment.
Yet, since the discussion is public, it's beneficiary for the rest of the readers to know the fact and conclude or make free choices on how to call the decision in question.