[Solved on 2.14.48] Preview window edges (2.14.47 Windows)

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

I recently had difficulty to figure out how to crop out some letterboxing on a scope video.
It seems that on the right and lower sides of the preview window, there is at least a pixel in the edge that remains black.
On 2.14.31, that I have on a Mac the edges of the preview window are clear.
Is it me or do others see it also?

Edit to change subject to [Solved]
Last edited by IoannisSyrogiannis on Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Re: Preview window edges (2.14.47 Windows)

Post by Carsten »

Is this on a high-res display? I hardly ever work on highres displays, so on my notebook, preview is always downscaled. Thus I regularly experience some scaling/aliasing/rounding issues when cropping. Also, as far as I understand, cropping takes place at the source resolution. So, there may be value flipping depending on the source/output relation. Sometimes for critical work, I use a single frame export of the source to count proper cropping values in an image editor. Some sources show asymmetrical letter/pillarboxing, very often I see a 1-2 pixel codec/scaling smear between signal and letterbox/pillarbox black in the source.

Can you show us a screen shot?

- Carsten
IoannisSyrogiannis

Carsten, in the past I didn't experience black pixels on two of the four sides of picture.
Those edges were not there on previous versions of the application, on the same HD monitors. So my goal is to understand if there are display settings that I can tinker to get back to "normal" or if it is related to the version and it is out of my hands.
Interestingly enough, on a linux (ubuntu) computer that I installed the same version, the black edge line is showing only on the lower side of the picture.
Here is windows:
Cropped picture with black lines showing on the right and under.
Cropped picture with black lines showing on the right and under.
Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 09.48.58.png (746.76 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
I cropped extensively, so to get to bright edges and show in contrast.
I am afraid that the screenshot from ubuntu "failed to move" for some reason, and it failed multiple times...

As for workarounds, yes, there are some, but having experience of the more straight forward past versions, I am in favour of them.

But, Carsten, you provided alternatives and possible explanations, but you haven't answered my question here:
If you use 2.14.47, do you see those lines on the edges?

What about other users?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I don't think I still have 2.14.47, I just updated to 2.14.48

I don't see any of these lines on my Mac with the standard fullscreen layout, but when I move the lower right corner and rescale main window, I see a black line on the right side at certain window sizes. But most of the time, and especially full screen, it is not visible.
I don't have a windows machine at this location, so, can't say for windows.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-15 um 12.37.34.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-15 um 12.37.34.png (18.33 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
IoannisSyrogiannis

Carsten wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 am I don't think I still have 2.14.47, I just updated to 2.14.48
Well, it seems you are using a non-publicly available version.
I am having DCP-o-matic on full screen always.
Usually on 1920x1080.
Does anyone else has experience of this effect?
Having the version that came out December and available on the download page?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

2.14.48 is available since the end of march: https://dcpomatic.com/download

What happens if you change the window size on your system - do these lines always appear, or do they go away at certain sizes? That could maybe help explaining why the occur.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Carsten, the 2.14.48 version might have been available from the end of March or whenever.
But when I was visiting the address you give, I was getting the 2.14.47 that was there since December.
So it was available elsewhere.
By writing what you write, one could get the impression that when I created the thread the 2.14.48 was available on that address, which is categorically not the case. ;)

After what you wrote what you last wrote, I checked changing the window size.
There is no size I could use to get rid of the lines on all sides.
On the contrary, on the Mac I currently write from (2.14.31), I tried the same and I found only occasionally that the phenomenon appeared.
Given my previous experience with the program on Windows, I make the conclusion that, since the rest of the configuration haven't changed, it is probably -but not definitely- software related.

Now, checking with the latest version (see below) I happily find that the preview edges are clear, as I thought they were previously. There is no smily winking with both eyes, because there is no such thing, so I'll just say thanks and I will try to see if I can change the title to solved
2.14.48 windows
2.14.48 windows
Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 01.07.29.png (643.78 KiB) Viewed 3533 times