[KDM Creator] Regarding Time Zone

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
pvillow

[KDM Creator] Regarding Time Zone

Post by pvillow »

Hi all, first time using KDM Creator here.

I wanna create a KDM for festival in Korea, which is a 4 hour different time zone than my local time. When I add cinema & screen I was able to set Korea time zone manually.
Now the question: is it safe to assume that when I set the timing based on my local time zone, KDM Creator will automatically convert/adjust/offset based on the cinema time zone that I already set before?

Thanks in advance.
Carsten

Re: [KDM Creator] Regarding Time Zone

Post by Carsten »

When you adjusted the Korean cinema for it's local offset in KDM creator, your time window for the KDM is given in Korean time. That is, if you set it to 9/1/2021 from 20:00 to 22:00, the DCP is allowed to play on the 9th of september 2021 between 20:00 and 22:00 Korean time. What you see is what they get.

You can check this yourself is you create the KDM and then look into the KDM XML file with an editor. You will see the Korean time.

Some KDM distributors indicate the local time as an adjusted absolute computed GMT without an offset indicated (null-offset). DCP-o-matic will create local time and include the offset in the KDM. I like the DCP-o-matic method more, because you can recognise the local playtime AND the given offset immediately, so it resembles what you have input in KDM creator and thus is easier to check:

<ContentKeysNotValidBefore>2021-09-01T20:00:00+04:00</ContentKeysNotValidBefore>
<ContentKeysNotValidAfter>2021-09-01T22:00:00+04:00</ContentKeysNotValidAfter>

That said - especially for festivals, it is usually a good idea to be generous with playout windows. Good practice is to create a KDM that extends throughout the whole festival, and sometimes a few days prior to the festival to allow for testing.