playback in dcpomatic and converted video low frame rate

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jdominicjackson

playback in dcpomatic and converted video low frame rate

Post by jdominicjackson »

Hi i cannot playback my dcp in dcpomatic smoothly and ofcourse the video (prores) comes out with low frame rates too :(
Carsten

Re: playback in dcpomatic and converted video low frame rate

Post by Carsten »

We need more information for a useful answer.

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch18.html
sup

Post by sup »

This might be of interest: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1682 Maybe your computer is just slow, by the way, especially if it is 4K or even more.
jdominicjackson

Carsten wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:55 pm We need more information for a useful answer.

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch18.html
"During playback the Performance area at the bottom right of the window will give details of how many frames are being dropped; these are frames that were not decoded from the DCP quickly enough."

what does it mean the bottom right of the window? I cannot see anything regarding performance or frames dropped in the lower right of anything...

"The player also offers a simple DCP validator. To check a DCP, open it and then select Verify DCP from the Tools menu."

It doesn't have this option in DCP omatic under tools menu..

:lol:

:evil:
jdominicjackson

sup wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:00 am This might be of interest: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1682 Maybe your computer is just slow, by the way, especially if it is 4K or even more.
Hi I am not sure if I understand.

I am exporting, I exported a prores file and its huge file and also seems to have the same kinda low frame rate vibe that I got in dcp matic playback.

Dont really camera about the playback in dcpomatic just want a nice master copy of my movie to upload to filmhub.com.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The Prores you exported may be too complex to play back on your system. You should reduce the compression quality for export to get a smaller file. What kind of machine do you use, and which version of dcp-o-matic? Did you create a DCP for your export first, or do you use a DCP that someone else made?

Is this a 2k or 4k project?

There are multiple applications - DCP-o-matic (main), and e.g. DCP-o-matic player. The player has means to accomplish a smoother playback, but it does only play DCPs, not Prores files.
jdominicjackson

Carsten wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:20 pm The Prores you exported may be too complex to play back on your system. You should reduce the compression quality for export to get a smaller file. What kind of machine do you use, and which version of dcp-o-matic? Did you create a DCP for your export first, or do you use a DCP that someone else made?

Is this a 2k or 4k project?

There are multiple applications - DCP-o-matic (main), and e.g. DCP-o-matic player. The player has means to accomplish a smoother playback, but it does only play DCPs, not Prores files.
Hi thanks a lot for the reply how do I lower the compression for the prores as its coming out at 100gb when the dcp is only 30gb!! haha..

It is 2k file its a 1080 film...

I have worked with prores for many years its always played back perfectly fine.. ACtually because its less compressed it should take less cpu no?
You can edit raw on a dual core cuz its playing back a series of images as apose to decompressing ..

anyway that's neither here nor there it should be coming out and playing back smooth so I dunno if I am getting some setting wrong or its just the massively over size pro res file... This dcp plays back fine..

The dcp was exported from premiere and I used it to play at a film festival and it was meant to be my master file. So now I wanted to make a different file type from it to upload to filmhub.com

I can go back to the original project file in premier and exort from that but its a bit of a chore as that was on a different pc and had various plugins I need to find.. Set it all up to open on a new version of premiere on a pc. I thought I could easily just make a prores from this dcp.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I suggest you first try to export an MP4 file, with a video quality setting of around 40 or so. Then check this in e.g. VLC if the playback is smooth. That test should show wether there is a systematic issue with your DCP or parameters.

What frame rate is your original DCP? You should adjust your DOM project for export to the same settings as your DCP - e.g. resolution/container size, frame rate, audio channel count, etc,

- Carsten