Creating my first DKDM for Distribution

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
DCP-Junkie

Creating my first DKDM for Distribution

Post by DCP-Junkie »

I am creating my first encrypted DCP with a DKDM for the international distribution. When I send to the distributor, do they then need to use DCP-o-matic to create the KDM's for the specific theaters or do they use whatever service they want. Also, would I then just send them my DCP folder like I would send to the theater? Or do they need the whole project folder?

Thank you in Advance. :)
carl
Site Admin

Re: Creating my first DKDM for Distribution

Post by carl »

If you make the DKDM right you just need to send them the DCP (like you would send to the theater) and the DKDM. They can use whatever tool they want to create more KDMs.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Keep in mind, it is not sufficient to create a DKDM for your own DCP-o-matic installation with the quick menu options. You need to inquire a certificate from the distributor, create a screen entry in DCP-o-matic, and issue a KDM towards that screen - which can be used as a DKDM by their KDM management tool.
DCP-Junkie

Post by DCP-Junkie »

Thank you Carl and Carsten. So, if I am understanding this (I am about 50% sure I am understanding, hehe) I would ask the distributor for their target certificate and use that to create a regular KDM and that would give the distributor the ability to create KDM's for distribution? Do I have that correct? As I understand, the DKDM inside of this program is for me to be able to make KDM's myself of my own DCP that I create, not to send out to the distributor.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Exactly. There is no technical difference between a KDM and a DKDM. Just that the latter is INTENDED for distribution, not for screening. The local DKDM generation in DCP-o-matic menu is needed if you want to create additional KDMs for your DCP later when your project file/DCP is no longer on your system.
DCP-Junkie

Post by DCP-Junkie »

What should I do for the date range? This will now belong to the distributor to distribute. They have given me the .pem file so that is easy enough but when it comes to date range, is there an option to just leave it end date open somehow or is it a better and/or normal to put a date of some kind in there?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It is up to the software which reads the KDM whether or not it respects the date range. DCI projectors are required to obey it (and take steps to avoid things like clock changes) but I would expect the distributor's software to ignore it. Otherwise I would just set a date far in the future (I think it should be fine to set it 40 years ahead, for example).
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

One could have a look at the distributor certificate validity, and to be on the safe side, set your DKDM time window within that span. Sometimes very long validities cause unexpected results. Depending on the application for distribution, I guess everything between 1 and 10 years could be useful values.
GOR4N

Post by GOR4N »

So if you send file generated by "Make DKDM" command then distributor can make new KDMs forever in whichever software they use?
And if you send KDM generated using distributors certificate than they can make new KDMs in time period defined by "Make KDM" command also in whichever software they use?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

There has been a change in the menu options for DKDM creation from 2.14 to 2.15/2.16. There is now a dedicated 'Make DKDMs' menu entry. It basically mirrors the previous KDM creation dialog, but doesn't offer the cinema/screen analogy. Other than that, these two dialogs are identical function-wise.

'Make DKDM for DCP-o-matic' creates a DKDM only targeted to your own DCP-o-matic installation/prefs. It is needed if you want to create a KDM in the future when you have no access to your project file/DCP anymore (most people do not store their project folders/DCPs due to disc capacity restrictions). A DKDM for your own installation allows you to create KDMs for THIS specific CPL, for alle Servers, and other KDM distribution systems, even without access to your DCP project files.

If you want to enable someone else to create KDMs for this content, you need to request THEIR certificate, and then create a DKDM from within the 'Create DKDMs...' dialog. You need to setup their KDM distribution certificate as a target. Then you send them your DKDM for their system, and they will be able to create KDMs for screens, without having access to the DCP or DCP-o-matic project. Also their DKDM management system does not have to be DCP-o-matic, they can use any commercial system as well.