10 bits file as master

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
MiloszFR

10 bits file as master

Post by MiloszFR »

Hello,

Does anyone know how to handle 10 bits original in order to get a good looking DCP, without banding due to conversion in DCP-o-matic?
My master is a prores 422 HQ 10 bits file colorgraded to rec.709 (film shot at 10 bits). When I import it in DCP-o-matic, it displays it as 8 bits, showing huge banding in the skies and waters, and the banding is still there in the exported DCP.
Is there a way to keep the 10 bits image?

Thank you,
Milosz
carl
Site Admin

Re: 10 bits file as master

Post by carl »

Is there a way you could make a short clip of your original and send it to me for testing? It only needs to be a few frames.

carl@dcpomatic.com
MiloszFR

Post by MiloszFR »

I just send you a link to download via email,

Thanks!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thank you. When you say it's still there in the exported DCP, are you looking at it on a PC, or in a cinema? Also, are you using Windows, macOS or Linux? What software are you watching your .mov in to see no banding?
MiloszFR

Post by MiloszFR »

I'm looking on the exported DCP on macOS with DCP-o-Matic Player. The original .mov doesn't have banding whatever software I use to play it. Adobe Premiere, davinci Resolve, VLC...
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

I don't know if the matter is resolved, but you could import the MXF video file from the DCP to those programs and check if that banding is apparent.
I am not 100% sure that will show you what is to be seen on screen, but it will be a mean to compare...
MiloszFR

Post by MiloszFR »

Great! I did import the mxf to another program and it looks just fine. So the matter was just the display inside DCP-o-matic Player.
Thank you!