Why is subtitle language option cancelled in version 2.15

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
bnm14777

Why is subtitle language option cancelled in version 2.15

Post by bnm14777 »

First of all, thank you very much for providing such excellent software, Occasionally used to make DCP packages, but recently found that the option of subtitle language is cancelled in version 2.15 (see the attachment). What are the reasons , this point Not friendly, As a result, the DCP cannot be used after production The file name knows what language it is.

2.14 Version
2.15 Version
Attachments
Version 2.14.11.jpg
Version 2.14.11.jpg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Version 2.15.135.jpg
Version 2.15.135.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Carsten

Re: Why is subtitle language option cancelled in version 2.15

Post by Carsten »

You can assign the language in content properties now. We needed to shift this away from the ISDCF naming dialog. I understand this comes unexpected, but it was necessary with the changes towards SMPTE DCPs and CPL metadata.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-02 um 01.23.57.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-02 um 01.23.57.png (48.24 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
bnm14777

Post by bnm14777 »

Thank you Carsten If you can't see this option with hard subtitles, what should you do??
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That's one of the unwanted side-effects of this change. Carl and me talked about these issues quite a bit. We were both not happy with the current way of doing things. As far as I understand, the only way for you to encode hard subtitles that are part of source footage is to modify the ISDCF name manually after 'copy as name'. (add e.g. -en). This, of course, is not a solution, just a workaround.

It has become unexpectedly complicated to marry the previous interop-way of naming DCPs with the new SMPTE CPL metadata constraints within the GUI. It's a work in progress.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You can right-click the content in the content list, choose "Advanced settings..." then tick "Video has burnt-in subtitles in the language..." and choose your language. As Carsten says the basic reason for these changes is that with SMPTE metadata you can specify multiple subtitle languages, so one global setting is no longer enough.
bnm14777

Post by bnm14777 »

Carsten wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:14 pm That's one of the unwanted side-effects of this change. Carl and me talked about these issues quite a bit. We were both not happy with the current way of doing things. As far as I understand, the only way for you to encode hard subtitles that are part of source footage is to modify the ISDCF name manually after 'copy as name'. (add e.g. -en). This, of course, is not a solution, just a workaround.

It has become unexpectedly complicated to marry the previous interop-way of naming DCPs with the new SMPTE CPL metadata constraints within the GUI. It's a work in progress.
Yes, this is indeed a solution. Is it possible to make two options of Interop and SMPTE have different options?Using Interop, you can use the original configuration or make it into two versions. I don’t really understand it, but just provide a possibility.
bnm14777

Post by bnm14777 »

carl wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:16 pm You can right-click the content in the content list, choose "Advanced settings..." then tick "Video has burnt-in subtitles in the language..." and choose your language. As Carsten says the basic reason for these changes is that with SMPTE metadata you can specify multiple subtitle languages, so one global setting is no longer enough.
Thank you Carl, I did not find this option in the current version, maybe I will try to use the latest version to test again.