Convert 3D SBS to IMAX 3D

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jgcoroleu

Convert 3D SBS to IMAX 3D

Post by jgcoroleu »

Hi, im from Argentina. Im new here and i start to work into imax cinema. Can i convert 3D SBS movie into 3D imax DCP? this imax have 2 projectors. I build with 3d opcion (left/right) but when i play into imax projector and look simple 2D movie... doesnt have 3D effect. Any ideas? Thanks
Carsten

Re: Convert 3D SBS to IMAX 3D

Post by Carsten »

IMAX systems should be able to play standard DCPs. However, as a first measure, you should try to create a very basic still image test, e.g. just a single letter laterally spaced. Then see if it plays okay. Also play a standard cinematic 3D Trailer. Then see wether your source footage format or processing options are wrong.

- Carsten
jgcoroleu

Post by jgcoroleu »

Hi Carsten, thanks for your answer. I convert a simple 2D video and plays ok in IMAX system. I dont understand when you say "single letter laterally spaced"... You say a 3D image with a letter? Have you an example? Or you say convert a simple image, like a photo, into 3D DCP? Sory for my regular english.

The 3D in IMAX looks like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUt1H4sesSs) DCP-O-MATIC converts 2D videos into DCP 3D like the youtube example? Or i need special videos to convert into IMAX 3D? Thanks a lot
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You need stereo files to create 3D DCPs, DCP-o-matic will not do 2D->3D conversion (and hopefully never will ;-).

When you create two still images, e.g. both with the letters '3D' at the center, but slightly spaced left or right, it will create a 3D effect when converted with DCP-o-matic using the '3D left only' and '3D right only' options attached to either image. This is a simple test wether everything works okay. Then you can proceed with real content. When you use stereographic content, you need to make sure which of the common formats it is, SBS, TOP/BOTTOM, Alternate L/R etc,

- Carsten
Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-24 um 10.58.33.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jgcoroleu

Post by jgcoroleu »

Thanks again for your answer. I will try with some 3D L/R image separately. For now doesnt work convert SBS 3D video into 3D DCP with some configurations. Regards
jgcoroleu

Post by jgcoroleu »

Hi Carsten, I test it 3 different ways. First with INTEROP, option (Carl suggest me) second with RealD example (http://www.freedcp.net/dcp/test/reald/R ... 8_Flat.zip) and third with your example, simple 3D image with left and right sides.
Well... none works, but i see the problem. The IMAX system have 2 projectors with yours polarized "screen" (like the image)
When i play original IMAX 3D Pre-Show (this DCP works great), the system use both projectors and both use the polarized screens. But when i play some of three DCP the system just use 1 projectors and without your polarized screen. Any ideas why?

carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It seems that 2-projector IMAX 3D will only happen if the DCP is signed by IMAX.COM.