Audio map

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
ouzou67

Audio map

Post by ouzou67 »

Hi everyone,

I have to convert a .MOV video to DCP for a screening next Thursday. I have a strange audio map on DCP-O-MATIC. Could someone explain me how to fill this card to have the full sound ?

Thank you very much.

Giles
Attachments
sound.jpg
sound.jpg (39.94 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
mediainfo.jpg
mediainfo.jpg (153.82 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
Carsten

Re: Audio map

Post by Carsten »

There seem to be two stereo audio tracks in this ProRes file. You can can listen to both if you check/uncheck them in the matrix. Not sure what could be in the second stereo/2-channel stream. There could be a separate center channel for dialog.

You can actually play the video and check/uncheck the matrix connection points in real time to get an idea what is in these streams. Do you have speakers/headphones conntected to this machines audio output?

As a test, you could also click 'C' and 'Bf' for the second stream in the matriy, then you could listen to both streams simultaneously, and you could create an audio analysis and post a screenshot of it here. You can then see audio level for all four audio channels in these streams. That MAY tell us something.

Do you have a connection to the person who created this file/this audio mix? Hopefully he knows what he put into these streams.
ouzou67

Post by ouzou67 »

Thank you very much.

I didn't know that DCP-O-MATIC could play the videos by checking or unchecking the different channels. The first sound track seems to be complete. The second soundtrack is similar to the first, it just lacks the voiceover. So I will just use the first one for the DCP.

One last question, could you tell me what Lfe is in audio map: L (Left) R (Right) C (Center) Lfe (???) ?

Thanks again.

Giles
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Lfe is for 'low frequency effects. That is, basically, the rumble you hear (feel) in action movies. For most applications not involving a professional soundtrack editor, you should not use Lfe, as it also difficult to check it's content in home listening environments.

I just suggest to activate these tracks so you can listen to them. For stereo tracks, you should just stay with L and R.
ouzou67

Post by ouzou67 »

Great ! I learned a lot today !

Thank you for all the information.

Very nice day.

Giles
RaquelGomez

Post by RaquelGomez »

Hi everyone.
I read that Dcp-o-matic did a quite good job on the audio upgrading it from stereo to mid center (4 channels).(On 5.1 the app it self recommends not to use it without checking it)

But I do not know if I am doing it right. when first steps (archive new) I created a stereo dcp (on preferences), because my source was stereo. so when I go to content tab on audio tap. The map I see has only 4 boxes. But when creating the dcp (tap) + audio (tap) I am checking on the box for mid lateral de-codification with four channels. (R/L/C/lfe). I would love my dialogues are listen to on the center speakers as I believe it sounds better.. but I do not know if it is better just to do an stereo export. Or if as to do that should I open as 5.1 project??. will appreciate any insights.
I could not get any sound mix facility to do it, so I am just with my DT880 pro headphones and a DACport hardware and I mixed it on stereo .. :roll:
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You may use the Mid/Side Decoder both within 4channel or 5.1 channel DCPs. LFE and Surrounds will be silent in the case of 5.1. I have done 4 channel DCPs without problems, but to be on the safe side, I would only create plain stereo 2 channel, or 5.1/six channel.

You set the number of channels under the DCP->Audio tab. I suggest, choose 2 channel for plain stereo passthrough, or 6 channel/5.1 for the Mid/Side Decoder.

You may also post some screenshots of your configuration here.
RaquelGomez

Post by RaquelGomez »

Thanks Carsten, I followed your advise. I have done two configurations. I created an IONOP with subtitles embed and stereo on a 6 channel. first screen capture. ( That I pretend to copy on an ext2 ionode 128 disk as suggested). That it is suppose to be the dcp "safe".

And then I also created a SMPTE dcp with open subtitles and Mid/Side Decode within 6.1 channel. (That I was willing to copy on a NFTS MBR partitioned disk).
I am having issues on how to copy to the formatted disk but I will post that on another place/feed.

As for Audio here are the screen shoots.
I will have to test it on a theater. But if any has any suggestions I will appreciate it.

INTEROP_Stereo_to_6channel
INTEROP_Stereo_to_6channel.png (66.81 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
SMPTE_Stereo-mid-decoded_to_6channel
SMPTE_Stereo-mid-decoded_to_6channel.png (200.33 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Both look okay. The Mid/Side version may be a bit on the soft side overall, you may increase the audio gain a little bit.

- Carsten