how to modify start time

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
ednamillion

how to modify start time

Post by ednamillion »

I have a 2-pop frame at the head of my video and audio, and I believe the convention (if I am not mistaken!) is that I should keep these files intact but start the DCP playback after the 2-pop frame. In Premiere, I've exported my final Pro Res with "set start time code" checked off - my timeline starts at 00:59:58:00 with a 2-pop and 2 seconds of black before the show start. But when I add this file to DCP O Matic, it does not seem to retain that time code information and shows a start time at 0:00:00. What is the convention for this? Do I use the "trim from start" timing for all my video and audio assets to shave off the pre-show seconds and 2-pop? Or can I just leave the 2-pop frame and beep in? I am not sure what that standard convention is and what the best way to do this is. I would have thought that using that 59:58:00 timecode out of Premiere and then starting the DCP at 1:00:00:00 would do the trick, but that timecode information from my Premiere export does not seem to be showing up in DCP O Matic.
Carsten

Re: how to modify start time

Post by Carsten »

Currently, the only way is to actually trim your 2-pop off - externally, or within DCP-o-matic. Yes, leaving them in the reels invisibly is common practice, but not demanded in any spec.

It is a feature that is useful within separate post production of video and audio in order to be able to check sync on the raw media (MXF). However, when the final DCP is created, it is no longer necessary.
ednamillion

Post by ednamillion »

how do I do it within DCP O Matic? And if my 5.1 mix audio files are added separate I assume I trim them all the same amount? will the film definitely run in sync if I do that?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You can trim under the 'Timing' tab. Both from start and from end. If your video and audio are aligned, trim video and audio by the same amount. If your audio is split in separate per channel files, make sure you trim every file by the same amount.

Note that you can select multiple pieces of content simultaneously and apply the same amount of trim to all in one go.