How to create VF from DCP OV

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Cooller89

How to create VF from DCP OV

Post by Cooller89 »

Hi, I made DCP from 10 video files:

1. Intro
2. Video 1
3. Video 2
4. Intro
5. Video 3
6. Video 4
7. Intro
8. Video 5
9. Video 6
10. Outro

Settings reels - Split by video content
This is DCP - My_FILM

Now, I'am need delete video file: 7. Intro
How make this, using VF ?

If I make New project, and add DCP folder, I'm get only one line: My-Film and can't see 10 video
Carsten

Re: How to create VF from DCP OV

Post by Carsten »

This is not possible as a VF with DCP-o-matic. The GUI does not allow to edit VFs based on OV referenced reels. You can only create a new OV, and trimming out the unwanted media.

One could potentially erase the unwanted reel from the CPL by hand and try to rewrap the VF to make it a proper DCP again.

- Carsten
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

Carsten wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm This is not possible as a VF with DCP-o-matic. The GUI does not allow to edit VFs based on OV referenced reels. You can only create a new OV, and trimming out the unwanted media.

One could potentially erase the unwanted reel from the CPL by hand and try to rewrap the VF to make it a proper DCP again.

- Carsten
But what is VF for then? What can I do with VF?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Basically, or in most cases, VFs are used in order so save space for unnecessary doubled, or tripled, video assets, by using a singe video asset with different audio and subtitle assets. DCP-o-matic allows to create reels, but editing reel structures is a different thing.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Not counting DCP-o-matic, a VF's use could be creating versions of OVs, the same way the priest on "Cinema Paradiso" was making Alfredo cut off the kissing parts.
Meaning, excluding scenes that for some regions or circumstances are "forbidden", like a plane crash screened on a film, playing on the entertainment system of an airplane.
At least for the time being, manipulating reels in such a fashion is not a DCP-o-matic feature.

If you want to remove C from ABCD, one thing you could do is making a DCP with AB (cropping from the original C and D) and another with D (cropping from the original ABC).
It's not the most practical way to do it on a DCP, but it works with DCP-o-matic.

Similarly, you can always make 10 different DCPs out of the 10 different videos. It may bloat the server's playlist and (depending on make and model of cinema server) make overviewing the full list difficult, but -at least- one can add and remove at will.
The disadvantage on that, is that a mistake of the person that makes the playlist for the cine-server may re-arrange things and that one has to make 10 DCP projects instead of one.