Can I use DCP-o-matic for encryption only?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
filmwallah

Can I use DCP-o-matic for encryption only?

Post by filmwallah »

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have only started playing around with DCP-o-matic, which is a great piece of software. I thank you for making this open source for the benefit of small Independent filmmakers like us.

I have a small query. I have two unencrypted DCPs (Interop) which was generated by others. Is there any way I can encrypt these DCPs and generate KDMs and DKDMs through DCP-o-matic?

I have tried opening the DCP folder through DCP-o-matic. The files do not open. It sends an error message: "Metadata XML not found".
carl
Site Admin

Re: Can I use DCP-o-matic for encryption only?

Post by carl »

Hi there,
If you use version 2 from here you can add an existing DCP as a normal piece of content (create a new project then do "Add folder..."). Then you can set the project as encrypted and make a new DCP which will use the data from your existing one. After that you can create KDMs as you wish. Let us know how you get one.
Regards, Carl
filmwallah

Post by filmwallah »

Hi Carl,

Thank you so much for the prompt response. Yes, I am using version 2. Will try the way you described tonight and let you know.

Subrata
filmwallah

Post by filmwallah »

Carl,

Thank you so much. I just tested with V 2.0 and looks like the encryption works fine. And the process is very fast too.

Since I am trying out this encryption thing, as a newbie can I ask a question?

I think I have understood generation of KDM and DKDM through the forum, but what is the key that is being generated with the encryption for?

Regards.

Subrata
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The key is what encrypts the content. The KDM is the means of sending that key to a user so that only the projector can read it. Have a look at the manual and see if that clears it up.
Filmoteca

Post by Filmoteca »

Following this query, I tried to encrypt an unencripted DCP but the outcome is a Version File. I then have to copy in a external drive the OV and the encripted VF but the point is that the OV is not encripted. I tried to copy only the mxf files into the VF folder but it didn't work, the DCP was not validated. Any ideas?

Regards,

Xavier
Filmoteca de Catalunya
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

That sounds like a bug: I'm not sure it will try to encrypt a DCP that you import. I will investigate.
Filmoteca

Post by Filmoteca »

Thanks, Carl, for your help.

I ran a test and, in order to create an encrypted DCP from an imported (unencrypted) DCP, it seems you must reencode the DCP to achieve the encripted DCP, by unmarking the use existing DCP setting in the properties tab for video, audio and subtitles.
It would have been great if it could create the encrypted DCP directly without the need to reencode, but it might be impossible.

Regards,

Xavier
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Yes in an ideal world it would spot this and just encrypt the JPEG2000 data rather then decompressing and re-compressing it.
karltrane

Post by karltrane »

Hi,

Amazing tool, so much love for people who are willing to contribute in this way so Tausend Dank!

Did this request ever make it?

It would be great to be able to retrospectively encrypt unencrypted DCPs WITHOUT having to re-encode. An uncommon but nevertheless occasionally-present requirement that it would be great to solve without having to go through another transcode pass.

Thanks once again!