Beginner's question on sound mapping

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Squareeyes

Beginner's question on sound mapping

Post by Squareeyes »

Dear all,

I am quite new to all of this, so please excuse any mistakes or confusions. I am currently trying to convert ProRes 422 HQ files into the DCP format to screen them in the cinema. The problem: The ProRes I received has 8 seperate audio streams:

Left Front
Right Front
Center
LFE
Left Surround
Right Surround
Left Total
Right Total

Now, I am a bit at a loss about how to channel those streams into the DCP - in other words: How would my sound map have to look like to sound good in the cinema? I assume, I could make a 7.1 mix with these streams, but how would this look like in DCP-O-Matic?

So you know, it's a big cineplex cinema with all the standard equipment. 5.1 and 7.1 is both possible there.

Would you have any tips, any idea where I could start with this? I'm sorry for this total beginner's question ;-)

Best,

Lena
carl
Site Admin

Re: Beginner's question on sound mapping

Post by carl »

Hi Lena,
I would guess that "Left Total" and "Right Total" are some kind of mixdown of other channels, so I don't think you need to use them. If you map

Left Front -> L
RIght Front -> R
Center -> C
LFE -> LFE
Left Surround - Ls
Right Surround - Rs

you should get a 5.1 DCP.

Best,
Carl
Squareeyes

Post by Squareeyes »

Thanks a lot!

I've attached a screenshot of the mapping I have now ... wouldn't that make it a 6.1 mix? Thanks again.

Best,
Lena
Attachments
Screenshot_DCP.PNG
Screenshot_DCP.PNG (21.25 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

That looks good... 5.1 is 6 channels (i.e. 5 + 1), the 5 channels are the full range ones and the .1 represents the LFE (sub-woofer).
Squareeyes

Post by Squareeyes »

Perfect, thanks so much for the help!
Squareeyes

Post by Squareeyes »

Hi Carl, would you mind if I ask you another question?

I now have a video with 16 audio streams. How would I convert that into the DCP? (See Screenshot)

I guess I have to activate every stream, but which fields to click? Or can I just ignore the last 8 streams?

Thank you for your help!

Best,
Lena
Attachments
Screenshot_DCP2.PNG
Screenshot_DCP2.PNG (18.86 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Pure technically, you can make a 1:1 channel assignment for up to 16 channels in the matrix. However, not everything that is possible technically makes sense for a cinema presentation. Only a subset of channels are typically used for audio presentation, and the channels you assign in DCP-o-matic need to match actual channels/speakers in the cinema. Cinemas usually do not feature 16 channels/speaker circuits, so, you need to explain what is contained in these 16 channels, and what is meant to happen with them playback wise.

If you receive an 8, 10,12, 16 channel stream, you need to know or find out what is actually in them. Very often, excess channels are just silent, and you can ignore them. Best is to ask the person who created that file, if possible.
mattydubnz

Post by mattydubnz »

I wouldn't use all of those channels. Channels 9-16 are likely to be the M+E (Music and Effects, ie everything except the dialogue) so they won't be much use in a cinema environment.
Hopefully the ProRes file has a leaderboard that can tell you the audio lineup.