First Time user audio problems

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
leglin

First Time user audio problems

Post by leglin »

Hello, I have never used DCP-o-matic so please pardon my question if its stupid.

I'm trying to make a DCP from a Pro Res 422 export with sound in linear PCM 24 bits 48 000 Hz.
The audio from that export is from a wav mix which is at -25.9 LUFS. However, when I click show graph and audio levels the LUFS shown is much lower at -32.

Is this normal? Will it sound the same in the cinema at projection? I cannot go check it in the cinema.
When I change audio gain to match my lufs the true peak becomes much too high.
Carsten

Re: First Time user audio problems

Post by Carsten »

LUFS/loudness has a set of different weighting/windowing parameters. So, the values between two different metering applications do not necessarily match. You should probably raise the gain of the audio until true peak gets close to 0dB. DCP-o-matic will issue a warning, and that level will turn red, but that is no problem as long as your true peaks stay slightly below 0dB or just touch 0dB.

-25LUFS sounds a bit soft for me, but, at least it will be in the right ballpark for a cinema presentation. If too soft, they can adjust the level somewhat more at the cinema.

Is this a stereo or surround mix? Can you share a screenshot of your audio settings and audio curve from DCP-o-matic ?