unable to load DCP in Dcpomatic from Davinci Resolve

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Post Reply
arigolan
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:29 pm

unable to load DCP in Dcpomatic from Davinci Resolve

Post by arigolan »

I've created a DCP in Davinci Resolve 17.3.2 using the native Kakadu JPGED 2000, using pretty much the default settings other than data rate and basic file naming. The DCP plays fine when brought back into Resolve. When I try and load the DCP into a new Dcpomatic project (for the purposes of Encryption & adding closed caption file), I get the error msg: "Could not load DCP. missing XML tag FullContentTitleText in CompositionMetadataAsset".

If I export from Resolve using the easyDCP option, I am able to load the DCP into Dcpomatic and it plays fine. I've compared the CPL xml files of both the Kakadu version and the easyDCP version, and they look the same (other than date being inserted in the Kakadu version) as far as the line that references the Content title...

Kakadu version:
<ContentTitleText>MovieName_FTR_F-185_EN-EN-CCAP_51_2K_GPI_AI_IOP</ContentTitleText>
easyDCP verison:
<ContentTitleText>MovieName_FTR_F-178_EN-EN-CCAP_51_2K_GPI_20211001_AI_IOP</ContentTitleText>

Am I just missing some setting in Resolve? I have all the options checked (which I believe is the default) for:
Export package metadata
Annotate xml using composition name
Annotate reel index as suffix
Annotate media using filename

Any insight is greatly appreciated...
arigolan
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Re: unable to load DCP in Dcpomatic from Davinci Resolve

Post by arigolan »

So I did a small test just un-checking "Export package metadata" (which is actually the default) and it seems to play fine.

Now my question is, is there anything I can edit in the xml files to fix the original (full length) file, without having to re-export the whole thing again?
arigolan
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Re: unable to load DCP in Dcpomatic from Davinci Resolve

Post by arigolan »

Solved.

So editing the CPL xml file- deleting the extra metadata info in the 3 title lines:

AnnotationText
ContentTitleText
LabelText

and renaming the file the same way it gets written in the version without exporting metadata

+ deleting everything in between:
</MainSound>

and

</AssetList>

and it now works fine.
carl
Site Admin
Posts: 1468
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: unable to load DCP in Dcpomatic from Davinci Resolve

Post by carl »

Well done for solving it! It seems that the XML tag FullContentTitleText is required by the composition metadata standard so I think DoM is (being strict) right to reject it. Maybe we should be more tolerant, though.
Carsten
Posts: 1888
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 pm
Location: Germany

Re: unable to load DCP in Dcpomatic from Davinci Resolve

Post by Carsten »

That's an interesting point. Quite a few people use DCP-o-matic to rewrap formally incorrect/broken DCPs. Using just the raw MXF assets is not always possible. So I guess DCP-o-matic should have a 'tolerate' option. Maybe a warning upon import, and then an option to import anyway.
I know this may not be as easy as it sounds...
Post Reply