Mxf subtitles in srt

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
gianlu

Mxf subtitles in srt

Post by gianlu »

Hello everyone.
I searched the forum, but could not find an answer to this question.
Is there any way to convert subtitles (not enrcypted) from mxf format to any other format? (like srt).
I have an old DCP but i lost original subtitles and I need to re-convert them from DCP.
I tried to search everywhere but I have not found a method or a free software to do it.
Thanks to anyone who will answer.
Carsten

Re: Mxf subtitles in srt

Post by Carsten »

You can load the MXF subtitle file into DCP-o-matic, and create an interop DCP from it, or use the subtitle export function in more recent test versions. That will create an XML subtitle file, which can be reused in DCP-o-matic.
gianlu

Post by gianlu »

Oh, thank you very much! I saw the option to export subtitles in the test version, but I didn't understand how to export to XML. Thanks!
lemgeo

Post by lemgeo »

Subtitle Edit can open mxf subs in most cases.
So open the mxf sub with Subtitle Edit and then save to srt.
GOR4N

Post by GOR4N »

So if you open sub.MXF in SubtitleEdit app and do what you need to do and save it as DCinema 2010 XML subtitle and in the end rename it back to sub.MXF will that work ??

I mean ... I know that it will fail hash check for example but that can be hacked :mrgreen:

What I want to ask is ... sub.MXF file is basically sub.XML renamed to MXF ?
barber

Post by barber »

It's not just a name change. Basically, sub.mxf is a sort of "archive file" which contains both sub.xml and the font it's using (the ttf file named by its uuid without the ".ttf" extension). You can use the asdcp tools (https://github.com/cinecert/asdcplib) to wrap and unwrap subtitle mxfs.

But in most cases, you'll prefer bring back the edited sub.xml to DCP-o-matic and it will take care of wrapping it in a mxf inside a new DCP.