Atmos track best practices

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
DangerousCinema

Re: Atmos track best practices

Post by DangerousCinema »

carl wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am You could make sure it doesn't work with 2.15.x first, if you like.
I should really do that first so you don't lose time solving a non-existing problem !
It's getting late for me, but I'll do that tomorrow and come back to you with the results.
DangerousCinema

carl wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am work with 2.15.x
It works !

Thanks to Carl's help I was finally able to encode a DCP containing both an audio track and a Dolby Atmos track.

The solution was very simple: I installed the latest beta version (2.15.178 as of yesterday) and it instantly solved all my problems.

DCP-o-matic is a real game changer for independent production. I love it !
littleAUDIO

Post by littleAUDIO »

Hi there,

- Are you using DAPS for creating the atmos mix and using the Dolby Conversion Tool to convert it to .MXF file?
- In DoM, in the DCP page, did u change the audio setting to 16 channels or not touching it at all?

Thanks.
DangerousCinema

We hired a certified Dolby studio to produce the Atmos Theatrical files that were then included in a DCP. Atmos for Theatrical (also called Atmos Cinema) is different from the Atmos for home entertainment (also called Near-Field) and all the publicly available tools are made for the home version.

Afaik, the Dolby Atmos Conversion Tool is not sufficient to convert an Atmos for Home (near-field) mix into a proper Atmos for Theatrical (Cinema) mix. I was told that to create a proper Atmos for Theatrical (Cinema) audio MXF to be integrated into a DCP for playback at a film theatre, you need to use a special Dolby Theatrical RMU (Rendering and Mastering Unit) that is not sold to the public at all, and which is not available for rent either. This exclusive RMU is only sold to Dolby Atmos for Theatrical certified studios, and this basically forces everyone who wants to use that format to hire such a studio to master the audio for their project.

If you know of a way to use the conversion tool to create an Atmos for Theatrical MXF, I would love to hear about it as this would make the whole adventure much more affordable than having to hire a Dolby-Certified studio.

some more info: https://www.rspeaudio.com/demystifying- ... -a/370.htm
In DoM, in the DCP page, did u change the audio setting to 16 channels or not touching it at all?
I did change the DCP settings to 16 channels.
littleAUDIO

Post by littleAUDIO »

Thanks for the explanation.

"Afaik, the Dolby Atmos Conversion Tool is not sufficient to convert an Atmos for Home (near-field) mix into a proper Atmos for Theatrical (Cinema) mix. I was told that to create a proper Atmos for Theatrical (Cinema) audio MXF to be integrated into a DCP for playback at a film theatre, you need to use a special Dolby Theatrical RMU (Rendering and Mastering Unit) that is not sold to the public at all, and which is not available for rent either. This exclusive RMU is only sold to Dolby Atmos for Theatrical certified studios, and this basically forces everyone who wants to use that format to hire such a studio to master the audio for their project."

Yes I know that. But it's good to hear that DoM can do DCP authoring with Dolby Atmos audio mix in it whether it's for cinema or home entertainment. It's really a game changer especially for Indie film maker.
pyr

Post by pyr »

littleAUDIO wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:08 pm Hi there,

- Are you using DAPS for creating the atmos mix and using the Dolby Conversion Tool to convert it to .MXF file?
- In DoM, in the DCP page, did u change the audio setting to 16 channels or not touching it at all?

Thanks.
little AUDIO, does this workflow actually produce a functional ATMOS DCP?
Jaume(Dolby)

Post by Jaume(Dolby) »

-->>. does this workflow actually produce a functional ATMOS DCP?

Nope.

"Atmos Conversion tool" or DAPS "Export MXF IAB" creates
a "Atmos MXF" to include in Netflix delivery Packages.

Internally, "Atmos MXF IAB" is totally DIFFERENT as "Atmos MXF For DCP"

The. only way to create a Theatrical Atmos MXF *for DCP* is using a *loan* software in certified Hardware
delivered ONLY to Cinema Mixing DOLBY CERTIFIED Theatrical mix stage.

Anyway, no fee or agreement signed with Dolby is needed anymore as before. from 28 Nov 22
Unless the Movie release will be distributed to MORE than 50 Cinemas in US or UK

J