Greyscale Color Conversion

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
poko

Greyscale Color Conversion

Post by poko »

I want to convert a short interstitial color clip to black and white. Is there a way to set up the conversion color matrix so the output is grayscale? Thank you.

(Sorry, I don't have after effects or any fancy software. You're it.)

--------------
I want to thank you for your software. I've been using it this past week to put together a public domain double feature with cartoon shorts for Halloween on my GDC NC2000C and I really appreciate how your software works and that it has some video editing abilities. I do wish fades could fade to transparent instead of fade to black but I get how fancy transitions are needless scope creep. I think you hit a sweet spot for basic needs. Thank you!
Carsten

Re: Greyscale Color Conversion

Post by Carsten »

Not without changing the code. The question there is, wether Carl should reintroduce more of the filters that used to be there in DVD-o-matic. There are probably people in favor and against it... There will never be a final conclusion as to how much creative options DCP-o-matic should have or shouldn't have...

What format/file type is your source footage in? How has it been created? I am sure there is free software to do this without too much hassle.

- Carsten
poko

Post by poko »

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I don't expect him to turn this into an after effects knock-off. Greyscale might be worth it though, as I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with public domain black and white films.

I was hoping to avoid playing with additional software as mysterious freeware can be a crapshoot full of malware. I'll go with Lightworks. I've used it once before years ago and it appears to have remained legit. The free version only outputs to MPEG4 which isn't ideal but thats okay here as thats what my source file is as well.

The clip i'm using is a short color video I've ripped from youTube with the creators permission under CC. Just something to fill the intermission between films. I've also got some old a.a.p. cartoons and a 'lets go out to the lobby.' Its a old theater with only two toilets so if we get a crowd the intermission will be very necessary.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

MPEG Streamclip could do it. Actually even QuicktimePlayer Pro can.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I want to convert a short interstitial color clip to black and white. Is there a way to set up the conversion color matrix so the output is grayscale? Thank you.
You nearly can, but unfortunately the form of matrix you need cannot be expressed using DCP-o-matic's interface as it is... sorry.
I want to thank you for your software. I've been using it this past week to put together a public domain double feature with cartoon shorts for Halloween on my GDC NC2000C and I really appreciate how your software works and that it has some video editing abilities. I do wish fades could fade to transparent instead of fade to black but I get how fancy transitions are needless scope creep. I think you hit a sweet spot for basic needs. Thank you!
Cool :) Fade to transparent might be a bridge too far as the all the code currently assumes that there is only one active piece of video content at any one time...