5.1 and 7.1 Audio Mixes and Versions

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jonny

5.1 and 7.1 Audio Mixes and Versions

Post by jonny »

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions, I have searched the forum but wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted to find out.

Firstly I am going to be creating a DCP for a friend soon and he wants me to create a 5.1 and 7.1 version. Do I have to create 2 full dcps one with the 5.1 mix and another for the 7.1 mix or can I do it through version files, so I generate a dcp with the 5.1 mix and then create a version file with just the 7.1 mix and refer to the existing dcp for video checked?

Secondly when I look at the title generator I notice there is not an option to select the audio mix so it doesn't appear in the title, is this feature going to be added in the future or do I just add it manually into the title in the correct place so that the projectionist ingesting it will see the difference between the 2 files?

Thanks in advance for your help and please let me know if this doesn't make sense or you need further clarification.

Cheers

Jonny
carl
Site Admin

Re: 5.1 and 7.1 Audio Mixes and Versions

Post by carl »

Hi Jonny,
Firstly I am going to be creating a DCP for a friend soon and he wants me to create a 5.1 and 7.1 version. Do I have to create 2 full dcps one with the 5.1 mix and another for the 7.1 mix or can I do it through version files, so I generate a dcp with the 5.1 mix and then create a version file with just the 7.1 mix and refer to the existing dcp for video checked?
There's a few ways you could do this. The simplest would probably be:
  • Set up a project for the 5.1 version and make the DCP.
  • Set up a new project for the 7.1 version. "Add folder" and give it the DCP from step 1.
  • Tick "refer to existing..." in the video tab (and subtitle tab if you have subtitles).
  • Add the 7.1 audio files and make sure they align with the existing DCP correctly.
  • Make DCP.
Then you will need to send the first DCP to 5.1 cinemas and both DCPs to 7.1 theatres.
Secondly when I look at the title generator I notice there is not an option to select the audio mix so it doesn't appear in the title, is this feature going to be added in the future or do I just add it manually into the title in the correct place so that the projectionist ingesting it will see the difference between the 2 files?
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here; if a project has audio it will be reflected in the name of the DCP. You can always click "copy as name" and manually edit the name if you like. With the steps above it should give you a 5.1 name and a 7.1 name that are different... is that what you wanted?

Regards, Carl
jonny

Re: 5.1 and 7.1 Audio Mixes and Versions

Post by jonny »

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the answer to the first question, that is exactly what I thought I should do, so will give it a try sometime when I can spare a few moments to downloading a 5.1 and 7.1 test mix.

And apologies for the second part of my post, I stupidly noticed when I now made another DCP that the audio format does appear in the title, I think it was a slight oversight on my part during a half asleep test of DCP creation.

Thanks

Jonny