Show stops and left a solid magenta screen...

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jugarcal

Show stops and left a solid magenta screen...

Post by jugarcal »

Hello everybody!
I'm trying to play a homemade dcp I edited with finalcut. It's an advertising clip.
I made a lot of clips like this before sometime ago and I had no problems playing it in our Datasat DC20 (qube) server.
That's the first time the dcp I made with DCP-O-MATIC don't work.
When the clip (included in a show) must be played, the show stops and the screen shows a solid magenta screen.
The server log says "playback sttoped due to error -2147220969"

I tryed to play this dcp in a Doremi IMS1000 server in another cinema theatre and it plays it without problems.

I tryed to use differents configuration when encoding the DCP with DCP-o-Matic (I even installed the last release) using diferents color conversions (rec709, srgb, none...)
I even exported the clip from finalcut to differents formats: H264, Apple ProRes, mov containers and MP4 containers...
None of these worked...

Can anyone give me any advise about what I'm doing wrong?
Maybe something about the color space used making the clip, that is compatible with the Doremi server but not with the Datasat/qube?

Thank you
jugarcal

Re: Show stops and left a solid magenta screen...

Post by jugarcal »

Hello everybody again:

I'm thinking about my problem and I had this idea:

The clip is recorded at 25fps, and then the edited clip is at 25fps.
When I add this content to DCP-o-MATIC, itself it choose 25fps as the best fps rate for the DCP, so the DCP is created at 25fps.
As I can see, all the DCP's I created before was from jpg images or from a BluRay, and as far as I can check, they are 24fps or 23'97fps, and then, the DCP-o-MATIC choosed 24fps as the best frame rate, so the DCP I created in the past were at 24fps, and they was played by the DATASAT DC20 server without problems.

DC20 specs says tha it can play 23'97, 24, 25, 48.... fps , but what's up if the Barco Projector DP3000 married with it is not configured to play 25fps contens in the 2D Flat or Scope macro? Maybe is the projector who "tell" the DC20 to stop?
Maybe I can't mix 24 and 25 fps conten in the same show.

This could be different for the other system where I cheked the problematic DCP, that's a Barco DP2K10SX with integrated Doremi IMS1000 server.
Maybe this system is able to play any frame rate and it change the speed automaticaly...
So this system let mix 24 and 25 fps contens in the same show (CPL called in Doremi).

What do you think?
This could be the problem?

I'm re-doing the DCP changing the original 25fps to 24fps and I will try it this afternoon.

Thank you guys!!

Sorry, maybe my english is not good enought...
jugarcal

Post by jugarcal »

Solved!
Recoding the DCP at 24fps, the DCP works OK!

Now, the mistery is why the server doesn't play a 25fps DCP, when specs says it can...

Thanks everybody
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

That is strange. What JPEG2000 bit rate are you using?
jugarcal

Post by jugarcal »

I use 100Mb, Carl

It's something strange, as the doremi plays it without problems, but the Datasat (qube) stops if this 25fps DCP is included in the show (CPL) or even it crashes if it is alone in the show.

The Doremi is married with a Barco 10SX (series 2), but the Datasat is married with an old DP3000 (series 1). Maybe the problem came from the projector...

Thanks
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Yes I think Series 1 projectors are unlikely to play 25fps properly.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Did you create this 25fps DCP as Interop or SMPTE? Because, formally, 25fps is only supported in SMPTE wrapping. Interop 25fps does work on many current servers, but it may be a problem on your Qube. Do you get current Qube software for this machine?

Try both Interop and SMPTE in 25fps, without changing anything else. Maybe it makes a difference.

- Carsten