VF subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
omorgan

VF subtitles

Post by omorgan »

Hi Carl and all the contributors to Dcp-o-matic.

Our Cinema uses this software alllll the time!

I love the updates to version 2.x :)

Anyway onto topic. Which sub formats does Dcp-o-matic support? I'm trying to make an EN-EN VF (mainly as a proof of concept) and have make the EN-XX OV ok, but everytime I want to import (using add files) the subs it just says 'error no video track found' ... well of course theres no video track, its a subtitle file...

I've tried .sup (original bluray source subs) and .sub (converted to vobsub subs). Same error. I cant use .srt without OCR software and they tend to do a bad job.

If I have to mux the subs into the source .mp4, how do I then make the VF?

Finally, does DCP-o-matic support the creation of PNG subs as well as text subs? The xml between the two is identical, just one references png files...

As .sup and .sub are bitmap subs in theory it shouldnt be too hard to support them....

Thanks for your work on this amazing software!

Owen.
carl
Site Admin

Re: VF subtitles

Post by carl »

Our Cinema uses this software alllll the time!
Cool, are you on the users' map, and if not, would you like to be?
Anyway onto topic. Which sub formats does Dcp-o-matic support? I'm trying to make an EN-EN VF (mainly as a proof of concept) and have make the EN-XX OV ok, but everytime I want to import (using add files) the subs it just says 'error no video track found' ... well of course theres no video track, its a subtitle file...
I guess you imported a MXF, which sadly won't work at the moment. You can import .srt or .xml (DCP format) subtitles.
Finally, does DCP-o-matic support the creation of PNG subs as well as text subs? The xml between the two is identical, just one references png files...
Not currently. I'm afraid this means that you can't (yet) make VF files from bitmapped subtitles.
omorgan

Post by omorgan »

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response, yes we are already on your map (Loughborough University Student Cinema 'Flix') :)

Thanks for the info.

These would be great additions as and when you get time (your list of requested updates must be huge!) :)

Owen
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for the response, yes we are already on your map (Loughborough University Student Cinema 'Flix') :)
Cool ;)
These would be great additions as and when you get time (your list of requested updates must be huge!) :)
All the gory details are here!