Multi Subtitles on DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Multi Subtitles on DCP

Post by Carsten »

Are you sure you checked 'use subtitles' in DCP-o-matic before you created the VF? Did you see the subtitles in DCP-o-matic preview? Is that an Interop, or SMPTE DCP? In Interop, you should see a folder within the DCP folder, containing font and xml-sub file. In the case of a SMPTE DCP, you will see additional MXF files for the subtitles (depending on your reel setting - in that case, your OV reel structure, as that reel structure will be replicated for the VF).

- Carsten
ondarru

Post by ondarru »

lemgeo wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:26 am Hi all

i've made VF packages the way Carsten describes and they are working ok to several Dolby servers.

Is it possible to create vf packages in the same folder -the ov package folder-?
i mean one folder containing the different subs, the video-audio mxf, one pkl, one asset map, one volindex and multi cpls?

George
Hi George and Carsten, I have followed your path for making a Multilanguage DCP: Creating a OV with no subtitles and next creating one VF for each language. I open the VF in the player and asks about the OV and then no problem playing it. But the projectionist tells me that even if she is able to import OV and VF folders in the Doremi server, the server gives her an error. The error message says:"CPL subtitle are missing". I can not find if I am doing something wrong in Dcp-o-matic. Could you guide me please?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Can you show us a screenshot of the directory with the VF files? Is this a SMPTE or Interop DCP?
Have both OV and VF been copied to individual folders?

- Carsten
ondarru

Post by ondarru »

Carsten wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 am Can you show us a screenshot of the directory with the VF files? Is this a SMPTE or Interop DCP?
Have both OV and VF been copied to individual folders?

- Carsten
Hello Carsten, thanks for the fast response.
I have created all VF folders, each language in different project. I am not sure if this could be the problem. The DCP is SMPTE. Now I am trying to create VF folders in the same project where I have done the OV. Maybe this is the problem, a path problem??
ondarru

Post by ondarru »

Carsten wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:07 pm Are you sure you checked 'use subtitles' in DCP-o-matic before you created the VF? Did you see the subtitles in DCP-o-matic preview? Is that an Interop, or SMPTE DCP? In Interop, you should see a folder within the DCP folder, containing font and xml-sub file. In the case of a SMPTE DCP, you will see additional MXF files for the subtitles (depending on your reel setting - in that case, your OV reel structure, as that reel structure will be replicated for the VF).

- Carsten
Yes I checked the "use subtitles" in DCP-o-matic. I saw subtitles in the player... but when they import all VF and OV folder to the Doremi server, they are getting the message that there are missing subtitles.
I am doing a SMPTE DCP. Just for testing I have done a single subtitle SMPTE DCP and it worked. I think it has to be a problem of the VF folders being created in different projects, so I have created all VF folders within the same project of the OV, so once they are created appear in the same project folder... tomorrow they are going to test it and I will tell you if it works!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Each subtitle language needs it's own VF to be created, and they all need to be in separate folders after creation. You may use the same DCP-o-matic project to create those additional subtitled VFs one by one, but of course you need to give a new name to each one, so that a new DCP folder is created by DCP-o-matic.

Typically, when doing SMPTE OV and VF, only the (non subtitled) OV will contain video and audio mxfs (multiple MXFs if multiple reels are used):

OVfolder:
ASSETMAP.xml
VOLINDEX.xml
cpl_xxx.xml
pkl_xxx.xml
pcm_xxx.mxf (audio)
j2c_xxx.mxf (video)

The VF folders will contain only subtitle media asset files (multiple MXFs if multiple reels are used).

VFfolder1:
ASSETMAP.xml
VOLINDEX.xml
cpl_xxx.xml
pkl_xxx.xml
sub_xxx.mxf (subtitle language 1)

VFfolder2:
ASSETMAP.xml
VOLINDEX.xml
cpl_xxx.xml
pkl_xxx.xml
sub_xxx.mxf (subtitle language 2)

The contents of each folder must be kept separate, and must be ingested separately.
Other DCP mastering solutions are able to package OV and VFs into a single package/folder, a multicomposition. But DCP-o-matic currently can only put them into individual folders. The behaviour on the DCI server after ingest is the same.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ondarru

Post by ondarru »

Carsten wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm Each subtitle language needs it's own VF to be created, and they all need to be in separate folders after creation. You may use the same DCP-o-matic project to create those additional subtitled VFs one by one, but of course you need to give a new name to each one, so that a new DCP folder is created by DCP-o-matic.

Typically, when doing SMPTE OV and VF, only the (non subtitled) OV will contain video and audio mxfs (multiple MXFs if multiple reels are used):

OVfolder:
ASSETMAP.xml
VOLINDEX.xml
cpl_xxx.xml
pkl_xxx.xml
pcm_xxx.mxf (audio)
j2c_xxx.mxf (video)

The VF folders will contain only subtitle media asset files (multiple MXFs if multiple reels are used).

VFfolder1:
ASSETMAP.xml
VOLINDEX.xml
cpl_xxx.xml
pkl_xxx.xml
sub_xxx.mxf (subtitle language 1)

VFfolder2:
ASSETMAP.xml
VOLINDEX.xml
cpl_xxx.xml
pkl_xxx.xml
sub_xxx.mxf (subtitle language 2)

The contents of each folder must be kept separate, and must be ingested separately.

- Carsten

Hello again Carsten,
I have received a message from the projectionist that the last DCP I made, works fine!
So, the problem was that I was creating a project for each subtitle and not creating each VF in the same project where I created the OV.
Somehow, having created a project for each of the VFs, was not saving well the path or connection with the VF and OV.
Thanks a lot for the help!
andrei-jk

Post by andrei-jk »

Good afternoon. Prompt please whether there is an opportunity in DCP-O-Matic to add subtitles to the encrypted DCP. If Yes then how to do it. Thanks.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You need to have a (D)KDM for the encrypted DCP targeted at your DCP-o-matic installation (you need to supply them your decryption cert in order to receive it). Then create new project, load DCP, assign DKDM, add subtitles.

- Carsten
andrei-jk

Post by andrei-jk »

Carsten wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:44 am You need to have a (D)KDM for the encrypted DCP targeted at your DCP-o-matic installation (you need to supply them your decryption cert in order to receive it). Then create new project, load DCP, assign DKDM, add subtitles.

- Carsten
Thanks for your reply