Multi Subtitles on DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rtX

Re: Multi Subtitles on DCP

Post by rtX »

Thank you for this advice. I'm using DCP-o-matic 2.10.2. I have added the OV DCP as a folder. I right-clicked on the folder name in the content window and used a DKDM I'd created earlier for DCP-o-matic. D-o-m seemed to 'import' the file okay: It stopped saying it needed a KDM. I added the subtitle xml file, which seemed to import okay, too. The "Use subtitles" checkbox was ticked. The "Refer to existing DCP" checkbox could not be ticked - it was greyed out. This is true on the Video, Audio and Subtitles tabs. I go to "Jobs" and the transcode seems to be happening quite fast. Does this all sound correct?

Edit: The 'new' DCP created is 100GB in size. I presume this is because I couldn't select "Refer to existing DCP". If at all possible I'd prefer to have a smaller size as I want to do an online transfer. If anyone can tell me how to ungrey the relevant check box, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
lemgeo

Post by lemgeo »

At content panel select the OV DCP, not the sub xml you have added and the "Refer to existing DCP" shouldn't be greyed out.
in case it is greyed out, at DCP panel make sure that you have the same settings( for example if your OV DCP is a single reel select single reel or if it is
interop select interop etc...)

in case your OV DCP has subs, at content panel select the OV DCP and untick use subtiles,
select the added sub.xml( the french one) and there tick use subtitles.

Hope it makes sense

lemgeo
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

@rtx did you get this sorted out?
MarioBacigalupo

Post by MarioBacigalupo »

Hi,
I need to add to an existing DCP OV audio tracks of a dubbed version and at the same time this version needs to add subtitles as well.
Can DOM could do this?
I already create an encrypted VF adding the audio and the subtitle, but, I see there is two different cpl's, do I have to create 2 KDM's also?

Best
Mario
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It depends on what you want to have - only a dubbed version, or a dubbed version WITH subtitles. Keep in mind, subtitles can not be switched on/off at the cinema, but need to go with their own CPL. So, if you need a subtitled version in addition to a dubbed version, you need to create two VFs.

Technically, it is no problem to create a single VF that references video from an OV, and add dubbed audio AND subtitle in one go for a single VF CPL. But then, the subtitles always play with the dubbed version.

- Carsten
MarioBacigalupo

Many thanks fo your prompt answer Carsten.
As a matter of fact, I will need a dubbed version with subtitles. So I'll create two VF's, one for the dubbed audios and the other one for the subtitles.
I'll deliver to the theaters three folders, the OV, the Dubbed VF and the Subtitle VF for the Dubbed VF. Plus, two KDM's for each VF, is that right?

Best
- Mario
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I assume now you need to supply a dubbed version without subtitles, PLUS a dubbed version with subtitles? Each VF builds upon the same OV - you know that you cant't build a VF referencing another VF, referencing the OV?

Yes, every VF in this case means an individual CPL, and every separate CPL then requires it's own KDM.

With DCP-o-matic 2.12.x or 2.13.x standalone player, you should be able to check both VFs for basic functionality.

You load first the VF into the player, then assign the KDM and OV, then test playout. Then check the second VF the same way, assigning the same OV, but different KDM.

- Carsten
MarioBacigalupo

I only need to supply the dubbed version with subtitles.
I didn't know that.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Okay then, load the OV, check the video to be referenced from your OV, disable OV audio, add dubbed audio and subtitles, create dubbed&subtitled VF.

- Carsten
MarioBacigalupo

I've already built the VF referenced to the OV, and added the dubbed audios and the subtitles but I can't see the subtitles in the dcp o matic player.