Add Subtitle for multi reel dcp (not made in DCP o matic)

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
gunnar

Add Subtitle for multi reel dcp (not made in DCP o matic)

Post by gunnar »

I was trying to figure one thing out.
Yesterday i got a multi reel dcp (6 reel) from someone else and this is not made in DCP o matic.
This is unencrypted so there is no kdm.
And i need to make VF for this DCP since this is witout subtitle, and i have the 6 srt files reel by reel.
I made a new project in DCP o matic, imported the dcp folder and check in both Video and audio tab "Refer to exiting DCP"
I have the English subtitle reel by reel in SRT format. And in the DCP tab i have chosen in the reel settings "Split by video content" since this is multi reel dcp i am importing.

My question is, before i make the VF, how can i tell DCP o matic witch srt is for what reel because DCP o matic have not ask me anywhere to specify what srt is for what reel.
Am i importing the DCP in wrong way? I just imported it by select Add Folder and select the main DCP folder of this feature.
I know this works perfectly with DCP´s that are just single reel.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Add Subtitle for multi reel dcp (not made in DCP o matic)

Post by carl »

I'll reproduce my email reply here:
My question is, before i make the VF, how can i tell DCP o matic witch srt is for what reel because DCP o matic have not ask me anywhere to specify what srt is for what reel.
You have to set up each .srt to start at the right time (the start of its
reel). This is probably not so easy at the moment. I will think about
how to make it simpler. You can do it either by entering values in the
"Timing" panel for each .srt or by dragging things around in the timeline
view.
Am i importing the DCP in wrong way? I just imported it by select Add Folder and select the main DCP folder of this feature.
That's the right way.
lemgeo

Re: Add Subtitle for multi reel dcp (not made in DCP o matic)

Post by lemgeo »

An easy way to put the srt files in the right time:

insert a subtitle with no text ( a dot for example) with duration 2 or 3 frames and set the last frame of the reel as output time of the subtitle.
you can put then the srt files one next to the other.
hope it makes sense

george