Gamma Correction

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Dusk

Gamma Correction

Post by Dusk »

Hi,

I use the newest version of dcpomatic and i want to change the output gamma correction. In my settings there is no possiblity to change it - but the screenshot in the help files shows "Output Gamma Correction". I only have "White point adjustment" as last possibilty to change in the settings? What´s wrong?
carl
Site Admin

Re: Gamma Correction

Post by carl »

I removed that option as I couldn't think of a reason why anyone would want to change it. What are you trying to achieve?
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

Some scenes in the movie are too dark after using REC709 and i wanted to light them up by changing the gamma.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, hard do decide. Carl put a lot of work and changes into the color correction, we discussed this often and, most of the time, came to the conclusion that the best way would always be to have and set color correction based on defined standards like rec.709, P3, etc, not individual dialing.
That said, if we'd be completely convinced, there would be no such thing as custom color conversion at all...

It's a fact that DCI gamma IS 2.6, so Carl is right that there should be no fiddling with this. At the same time, this is more or less the only position where you can actually change something that may have been broken before but can not be fixed the traditional way by accessing the source footage. And anyway, the same then would be true for whitepoint adjustment, etc.

As such, I would opt for leaving the Gamma adjustment in.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Is there a reason why you can't use the input gamma correction here?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I have no idea ;-)

Must play with both options. Due to the processing chain and bit-depth, may give different results?

- Carsten